Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all thanks Curtis! I had a blast yesterday! A buddy of mine and myself and Curtis met up for an afternoon bowhunt, Curtis told my buddy how to walk in to this one area and we walked to another. Walking in curtis stopped and asked if I wanted to hunt right there or go on. I told him it didnt really matter to me but I really didnt like it right there. So he put me on my way and said he was gonna hunt there...never guide the guide. He knows these deer better than I do. So I walked to the next area that looked similar but...I had a bigger tree. After about 40 minutes....maybe....I kept thinking I could hear a deer but it was moving so slowly I wrote it off asa bird messing around. I was looking to my left and heard a small noise and looked back to my right....deer was walking through a shooting lane of mine. Great I thought, you just messed that one up so I quickly stood up in case there was another. There was another big doe right behind this one that was smelling hard! Scentlock works!!!!! The second deer was needing to take one more step so I went ahead and came to full draw. While I was waiting it out I caught some movement and the first doe was 12 yards away,easy decision, shoot the first one you can! So I settle the pin and let fly! The lumanock was barely visible as she ranaway and a second later I heard her crash! So I'm thinking that was pretty cool, I dont want to mess Curtis up so I'll just stay in the stand. About 10 minutes later I can see a deer walking straight away from me. I hit a bleat call and hear deer much closer to me than the one I saw. She walks as pretty as can be, turns broadside to me, and I let another Rage broadhead do some dirty work! She ran about 40 yards and piled up! So then I decided I had better go get Curtis before his big racked butt shows up! Go get him and he asked me if I had one down, I said no man, I'm sorry, I haveTWO down! He put me on those deer And he saw a couple to boot! Great way to spend an afternoon!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Thats better than wrigleys gum, you got double your pleasure.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
good read james...thanks for sharing and congrats on the deer...i know for a fact that curtis (garbo) is one stand up guy with a heart of gold...

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
James, I had a blast as well.

Yall, James is an incredible Bowshot. He had as near perfect shots on both of those Does as could be made. The dude is deadly. He had to make one of the shots he made while standing with knees bent in order to avoid a limb in the tree, and still made as near a perfect shot as could be made.

Both exit wounds were something to see, due to the broadhead he was using.Kinda looked like a Blalistic Tip 30cal exit wound. What kind was it, James?

Great afternoon in the woods.

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
garbo, when you gonna invite me? i got that new parker and still havent had a good chance to break her in!

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
Great job brother! Meat in the freezer!:clap

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
nb&twil (11/28/2007)garbo, when you gonna invite me? i got that new parker and still havent had a good chance to break her in!
Will,I would be tickled to go hunting with You and a bunch of other people that I have met here. This has come up before, and I have been a part of it, but.......

I think it would be a really cool deal to have a lease/club that was all are at least mostly made up of a group of PFF members. If it were in Southern Alabama and close enough to the Panhandle it would be fairly easy to get to, as well as somewhat centrally located. It would make a great weekend deal during hunting season. But, most of all I don't think it would be hard to find a group of PFF members that would make great members to be associated with. Of course it would be for 08/09 season, but if the number of members interested was known based on a membership of around $1200.00 per year, we would know how much land to look for, before June 08.

Any Takers?

Edit: We would probably never hunt, just sit around the fire and tell stories about Fishing, Drink Beer and BS all the time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey James - You Turkey!!!

Never did get your call the week I spent in Blackwater ;)

Garbo, count me in on the Lease/Club idea. I'm going somewhere in Alabama it might as well be

with a group from here :)

Mark

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Good shooting James! I love bow hunting and have missed it the last few years.

Now that my son is starting to hunt I hope to ease back into it once I get him on his own. I've been blessed to have access to plenty of public land and wildlife management areas.Several of my hunting buddies have gone the lease route but I never saw the need.Lately I've been thinking since I sold the farm I'd like to either buy another small farm or lease some land to hunt with my children.

Don't know how much land you're talking about leasing, but it seems for that king of money you're talking about purchase power of an acre or more per hunter. Why not form a limited partnership and just buy the land. You could make improvements,have basic annual dues to cover taxes and no tresspassing signs.It wouldn't have to be too complicated.You could write in first right of refusal for divorce or bankruptcy situations etc.Something to toss around.

Sorry for the derail. It might be better discussed in another thread if there is any serious interest for leasing or purchasing land.

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Garbo (11/28/2007)James, I had a blast as well.

Yall, James is an incredible Bowshot. He had as near perfect shots on both of those Does as could be made. The dude is deadly. He had to make one of the shots he made while standing with knees bent in order to avoid a limb in the tree, and still made as near a perfect shot as could be made.

Both exit wounds were something to see, due to the broadhead he was using.Kinda looked like a Blalistic Tip 30cal exit wound. What kind was it, James?

Great afternoon in the woods.
Thanks again Curtis! The two shots I made were dang sure deadly! They were Rage broadheads, one was a 2 blade the other was a 3 blade. They will put a huge wound channel on an animal....but it is all about placement. Shoot them right with a field point and they wont go far!

Seminolewind, I shoot a 2006 Bowtech Allegiance. 56# draw with Carbon Express Maxima Hunter arrows. The bow is fun to shoot and is pretty dang fast for 56#.

Curtis and I were hunting close enough he heard me shhot these deer. The wind was where it would blow our scent to not interfere with the other. Pretty neat for sure, I would like to be on his end one time! Putting someone on a spot and hearing them shoot is about as good as you can get IMHO. Been there done that...but with a rifle! It makes you feel good that you chose the right spot for someone else!

·
Registered
23 Posts
James, nice job on filling up the freezer. That exit wound in the pic is something to behold:bowdown

I'd be "breakdancing happy" to pull a two-fer like that:clap

1 - 15 of 15 Posts