Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are drilling a well for irrigation in the new house and seems that the immediate area well have a lot of iron which stains driveways and siding. What options are out there to treat the water to avoid this?

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
2,899 Posts
I don't think deeper is the answer.

"Ferrous Iron in Well Water. Often called clearwater iron because it is clear when poured, this substance is found in water that contains no oxygen. Typically, it comes from deeper wells and groundwater sources. Carbon dioxide acts on iron in the ground to form soluble ferrous bicarbonate. In water this forms ferrous ions (Fe++)."

You're probably going to have to filter it. Which one to use, depends on your water tests.

http://wellwaterguide.net/iron-well-water.aspx

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't think deeper is the answer.

"Ferrous Iron in Well Water. Often called clearwater iron because it is clear when poured, this substance is found in water that contains no oxygen. Typically, it comes from deeper wells and groundwater sources. Carbon dioxide acts on iron in the ground to form soluble ferrous bicarbonate. In water this forms ferrous ions (Fe++)."

You're probably going to have to filter it. Which one to use, depends on your water tests.

http://wellwaterguide.net/iron-well-water.aspx

Thanks will check that out.

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
We went from 30 feet to over 70 feet....rust is less but still present. You can get water softener systems (used at Mar-A-Lago golf courses and fancy resorts) but they ain't cheap and not 100%.

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
bottom line in all this is it largely depends on where you're located.... Hit and miss. I'm in Cantonment, pretty deep well. nothing but clear no odor water. there may be a little luck involved..... when I was son the west side, I hit the right water too, clear, clean no stink... Call it luck if you want.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
bottom line in all this is it largely depends on where you're located.... Hit and miss. I'm in Cantonment, pretty deep well. nothing but clear no odor water. there may be a little luck involved..... when I was son the west side, I hit the right water too, clear, clean no stink... Call it luck if you want.
Hoping for some of that. Mike is very close to us and no issues either. My luck it’ll be nasty as hell LOL.

·
Bearded Brotula
11,704 Posts
There is a system that you can put on your well. It's expensive. I lived at a complex that decided to stop using the stuff. Turned my white truck orange. Streaked the crap out of my wife's black car. In the end, they paid to have almost every car there stripped and waxed.

·
Registered
7,196 Posts
How deep are you? I'm betting your under 30'. I helped a few people down there and the shallow wells are stagnant water. Your probably not going to get away with a shallow (<32') well. I've hand bailed over 100 wells on the west side. Your probably not going to have enough source to keep the pump fed either. I'm in Lillian between Soldiers Creek and Perdido Bay and didn't hit water till 50'. 58 to the bottom of the stream.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We have not broke ground yet. From folks I know who have had wells installed on the island, most seem to be under 35’ and many of which have been in service for over 25 years and never an issue. We are on the North side.

·
Registered
9,511 Posts
I did one to 14 ft plenty of water full of iron. Redone one to 60 feet and got perfectly clear water. Tested quality everytime I turned hose on by drinking some. Been using it for watering outside for15 yearsI live west side by lillian and fairfield.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am actually building out on innerarity island also. They just started underbrush but will be done in February. I have two uncles out there who have wells. One is on north shore road where you turn right when you get on the island. He is 32’ deep I believe no stains or odor. My other uncle is in russell bayou and he is the same depth with no issues. I am on north shore road but at the very end of the island. I spoke to one well company who has done them on the island. He said you can go shallow and get the iron or go deep and get the sulfur smell. My builder does not do wells on the island due to the salt is what they are telling me. If I have to choose I guess I am going to take the smell and just water early in the morning.

Let me know what you decide or how it turns out if you finish before February.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts