Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked the offshore boat up Friday. Died after 500 yards. Made it to the dock on 1 engine. Tech came from the dealer (nice guy, worked on the issue). Thought we had it fixed but no bueno. So back to the dealer today. Pulling that big beatch is a pain. Especially on 1 engine. Better early on a Sunday -- light traffic.

Went out to catch some bait for trout fishing later today in the bay boat. Trimmed up the motor to get close to the beach. Anchored up and caught a few baits. Back on the boat... motor won't trim down. Damn. And no flathead screwdriver on the boat to pop the manual release.

Thankfully we are 500 yards from the dock. Trolling motor home.

Rinsing off the gear. Hose splits. Try to remove it to fix it. No bueno. Locked solid. Rather than risk breaking off the faucet I'm letting it marinate in WD40 overnight. Will put two wrenches on it and hopefully avoid another issue.

But, the day is beautiful, the rum is flowing, and I'm gonna regroup next weekend and give em hell!!!! Tight lines yall.

·
Registered
3,498 Posts
Ahh, ain't nutin for a trooper like you! Just know it'll be a beautimus day tomorrow!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I forgot. I reached for the drift sock on the rod rack and BAM! Wire snapped and a 30 wide hit me right in the noggin. Not much blood but a pretty good goose egg.

I'm gonna go crank the work vehicle to make sure I don't have a dead battery at 5am like last weekend.

I guess these are good problems to have in the scheme of things, but they are annoying.

Reactions: cody&ryand

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Great attitude for sure I am sure we have all had days like that. I know I have had more then a couple and alot of times fail to keep the positive out look and thank the man above for what I do have.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Good call on leaving that hose to marinate (PB Blaster also works really well). I made the mistake of getting mad and pushing too hard on one last year, and sure enough, broke that faucet off and had to run out to the road to shut the water off. Naturally it was bath time for the kids, and wife was trying to cook. All good today, but on that particular day it sure did stink.

·
Registered
3,827 Posts
On the motor trimming up but not down, look in the cowling for two relays. They control the tilt motor. My old flats boat was going that. A mobile mechanic came over, popped the cowling, tapped bot relays...damn tilt worked. He said I could buy them at West Marine for 30 apiece...OR...I could go to NAPA and buy the same relays for 3 apiece.

Hello, NAPA.

Worth checking. If that's the problem, takes 2 minutes to fix.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Sounds like you should have stayed in bed that day.

Some folks never have days like that and I have often wondered why. Some folks skate through life while the rest of us have our trials and tribulations. Mostly, the guys who seem to skate through life don't own boats. I've always said "it is cheaper to charter." If the boat breaks, it is not your problem unless you happen to be aboard that day, then it is merely an inconvenience unless the boat sinks.

·
Bearded Brotula
11,783 Posts
It was one of those weekends. Put the boat in early Saturday and motored down Cotton Bayou. Got under the bridge and pushed the throttle forward. Wouldn't get up on a plane. Idled out of the pass with the 500 other boats and tried again. Just wouldn't do it. Idled back to Bird Island and cracked a beer. That evening, put 4 cans of Seafoam in the tank.

Put in Sunday and it would get on a plane, but wasn't running as it should. Went out 12 miles or so and picked up some snappers and a bonita for future bait.

Guess I'll change plugs and filters this week. Might be time for a new boat.

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
On the motor trimming up but not down, look in the cowling for two relays. They control the tilt motor. My old flats boat was going that. A mobile mechanic came over, popped the cowling, tapped bot relays...damn tilt worked. He said I could buy them at West Marine for 30 apiece...OR...I could go to NAPA and buy the same relays for 3 apiece.

Hello, NAPA.

Worth checking. If that's the problem, takes 2 minutes to fix.
Thanks I'll try that. I did notice the trim seemed to be struggling (motor sounded weird). I'm afraid it's gone.

·
Super Moderator
28,518 Posts
Are you my long lost twin??????

·
Registered
6,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I thought you just re powered the big boat? WHat you got 40 hours?
Sigh.... yes but we are at 300 hours (we use the boat a bit).

Last diagnosis was a bad high-pressure fuel pump. It's at the shop getting fixed under warranty. Not sure what causes such but things break.

A PITA to be sure, but nothing a vacation won't fix.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,833 Posts
Sigh.... yes but we are at 300 hours (we use the boat a bit).

Last diagnosis was a bad high-pressure fuel pump. It's at the shop getting fixed under warranty. Not sure what causes such but things break.

A PITA to be sure, but nothing a vacation won't fix.

The more you run it the better. I am just wondering what condition the tanks and fuel lines were in, maybe trash in the fuel?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts