Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After missing most of last bow season, it was a great weekend to be back with the arrow slinger! Nice cool morning, no skeeters, and right after daylight comes a little boar about 60 lbs. I decided to let him walk, since I wanted something a little bigger, and besides, who wants to end opening morning after 30 minutes? Anyway, after two hours of watching squirrels, coons and rabbits, I was beginning to think I made have made a booboo letting the little boy go, when all of a sudden I hear the sounds of acorns cracking just to the right of me. Although she was only about ten steps away, there was no shooting cause of all the brush. After a few minutes she feeds on down and steps into a little opening quartering away from me. Now I know thats not the best shot, and I am not going to bring down all the wrath by telling how far she was, but it was opening weekend, and I had let something walk already, so I fired away. She was a nice little maiden doe that only went about 40yards. Nice to put up a little bit of tender backstrap early! Next evening, I am back not expecting a whole lot, just enjoying the woods, when all of a sudden comes a racket like a train coming through the woods. Out comes a whole herd of hogs, from little pigs about ten lbs to little boars in the 50-80 lb range to 2 old sows about 150 and 1 NICE boar. To make a quick story lomger, 8 steps right down through the top of the shoulders! My weekend wont make front page on the sport rags,but it was really great to be back out and even better to have a little luck to go along with it.I guess it pays to be lucker rather than good sometimes.By the way, the hog was 190 on our scales!

Attachments

·
Registered
225 Posts
Way to go, nice weekend. Nice pics. Hope this weekend is as good for me!

A quartering away shot is actually a great position to have them in. It is recommended by many experts. It takes the shoulder blade out of the equation and allows better penetration and possibility of pass through.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts