Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got down to the beach about 15 mins before sunrise yesterday and this morning. Yesterday I got 2 flounder, 12" & 13". Today I got two more, 13" & 13.5".

Got three of them on 3" swim shad and one of them on a bucktail/teaser flounder rig: 3/4 oz. bucktail with an unweighted soft plastic on a dropper loop about a foot above it. A PITA to fish with compared to the swim shad and I think I missed a couple flounder because it feels very different.

Chris V, if you see this thread, would you mind telling me how much you are moving down the beach when you are casting for flounder? I wonder if I don't move enough. I usually cover a spot pretty well casting in a fan pattern, then I'll start taking a few steps every couple of casts. If I get a hit I will cast in that spot for a good 5-10 mins or so before moving again.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You do the same exact thing as me, just with better results lol. Interested to see what differences Chris does.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You do the same exact thing as me, just with better results lol. Interested to see what differences Chris does.
Yeah, I guess what I'm trying to get at is: Is it better to thoroughly cover the surf with my casting as I move down the beach, or to move more and fish a much bigger area without thorough casting coverage?

I ask because in 4-5 hours of fishing I usually get 1-2 flounder. Who knows, maybe some of the bites I'm missing are flounder and that's my problem, not my movement...

·
Registered
630 Posts
Yeah, I guess what I'm trying to get at is: Is it better to thoroughly cover the surf with my casting as I move down the beach, or to move more and fish a much bigger area without thorough casting coverage?

I ask because in 4-5 hours of fishing I usually get 1-2 flounder. Who knows, maybe some of the bites I'm missing are flounder and that's my problem, not my movement...
I'm waiting for Chris to weigh in on this too. In the mean time,try looking for areas where the water is different.you will begin to notice areas that are rougher than others,with more water moving in, then back out.you will find deeper holes to cast into.Try fishing edges of these breaks.Fish can be in the calmer water,but I think I get more action in the rougher stuff.
I don't think you are missing any bites. slowly dragging a 3/4 oz buck tail across a rippled sand bottom can be deceptive.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Your catching them, so that's always good.

I can tell you how I basically go about "laying out" a trough, washout, drop off, bottleneck, etc. I have really tried to get a good idea of how far Flounder will travel to hit a lure that is being worked fairly aggressively over bottom. I've come to the conclusion that while a lot of flounder will cover serious ground and depth to hit baits, your chances are best if you land within 3ft of him. When I approach a spot I try to fan cast a pattern where my lure lands within 3ft of my last. I cover the entire spot like this and then throw a few more in a wider pattern afterward before moving on to the next.

Flounder are designed for opportunity. They aren't a fish that was made for chasing down or overpowering prey. They are perhaps the greatest design in ambush "technology". When food arrives, they don't hesitate much. Do a 3' spread on your casting and move on, because you have put that bait in striking range.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That clears some things up for me. I was also starting to wonder how far a flounder would go for a lure.

Went out again this morning and got 3 flounder. One was too small, though.

Thanks for all of the advice you've given!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Last year this time we were down to Perdido Key I was walking the beach, outgoing tide. I noticed that there were a few cuts through the first bar where the water was going thru rather quickly, much like a rip tide current. I fished a few of these with an MR17 red/white and done well on flounder and a few specks. Early morning before the swimmers and waders gather.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts