Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I want to thank Woody for a wonderful hunting experience with my son and some new friends at his place this past weekend. It was an experience Roger and I will always remember. Our drive down took a turn for the worse as we were leaving Birmingham toward Montgomery. Suddenly I-65 South was a parking lot. Since they were waiting for us to bring the meat for dinner time was of the essence. I called our resident researcher; Ron (Tuna Man) and he quickly gave me an alternative route that had us moving in no time. Thanks Ron! We finally arrived a couple of hours late after a few calls to Woody and followed him onto the property. We grilled deer burgers and got acquainted while eating our late supper.

Timing and luck would have it that PFF member Jaster (Jason) and his 8 year old son Dillon were there along with Tim and his son, another 8 year old named Justin. Between fishing, hunting and playing with ?Rocky?, Woody?s golden retriever, the boys had a blast and never got bored. I guess Rocky is still recuperating from fetching nonstop when the boys were in camp.

The evenings in camp involved grilling, cooking and talking on the porch, while the boys played with the dog and listened to the coyotes howl. As the evening wound down we would settle down inside and watch a video till we ran out of gas and trickled off to bed. Woody and I burned the midnight oil talking about fishing and hunting till the wee hours of the morning and shorted ourselves of well needed sleep. The conversation was well worth it and I don?t regret a minute?s sleep lost. He?s a little less than half my age so I?m sure he never noticed we only slept a few hours each night.

We hunted in some very nice blinds conveniently located and sized for buddy hunting. There were plenty to choose from and Woody moved us around so all would get to hunt different blinds and parts of the property. Unfortunately the only deer we saw were on the last morning. It was so foggy we couldn?t positively identify our potential targets. They moved off before the fog cleared so Roger never got a shot. It was a good lesson in shot selection and discipline for Roger anyway.We saw deer so I consider it a successful hunt. (Call it a hunting catch and release attitude.)

Woody had a friend that arrived late Saturday night/Sunday morning that was bow hunting our last morning and managed to hit a trophy 8 point or better. He and Woody trailed it for a considerable distance before running out of a good blood trail. They marked the trail, returned to camp and sought everyone?s assistance to resume trailing the deer. Tim and his son had left the previous evening so it was Woody, Buddy, Tim, Dillon and me and Roger. It turned out the two boys were excellent trackers and could spot blood on the ground like a CSI unit with alternate light sources. The adults basically ended up following the boys and marking the blood spots with surveyors tape and leapfrogging along behind them as they deftly followed a trail we had difficulty finding. The anticipation built as they continued yelling out ?Here?s some blood?, ?I found some?, ?Over here! ? We gave it a good 2 hours and a few hundred yards in some pretty thick terrain full of fresh deer sign. Eventually the trail ran out again and we were forced to abandon the trail. It was unfortunate for Buddy and the deer but it was another of the many important lessons and experiences the boys were exposed to this great weekend.

If you or a family member wants to have a great personal hunting experience or introduce a child to hunting, give Woody a call. This is an outdoorsman's playground with excellent facilities and as gracious a host you could ever ask for. I?m hoping to bring Roger down again after Christmas. If we can?t make it again this year we will definitely be back next year. Woody it was a pleasure and honor meeting you. I look forward to our next meeting be it in the woods or on the dock. Jason, if you and Dillon plan on going back let me know and maybe we can meet up again.Tight lines all.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
great post david...if ya'll decide to head back down there give me a call and maybe i can make the trip up there to visit and do a little hunting also. That is if woody isn't still mad about me beating him in our little bass tournament!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
haha i've been showing up from time to time and putting my two cents in on some subjects......I'll be around more often now little buddy

·
Super Moderator
28,508 Posts
Alright Woody, don't make me bring logan up there to kick your arse at the pond brother!!! He still asks me about coming up there just don't know when I can....:banghead

4,058 Posts
ok im sensing a lot of hostility regarding the bass fests we have down there. first of all, i am undefeated on the year. tony (voodoo lounge) and his buddy jimmy got to talkin trash one night and so we had ourselves a little weekend long tourney and although jimmy ran up an 11 fish lead within the first hour, and appeared to have the tournament in the bag, i came back on the last day, last hour of sunlight and whupped him good with 13 fish. you cant mess with the best. now i let to let the kids get a little cushion of 3 or 4 fish per child before i really start, that way they dont get their feelings hurt, but i will put money EVERY WEEKEND on noone being able to beat me at my own home turf. bring your calcutta money and we'll do this thing. noone comes in my backyard and takes a dump!

i'll even use my 3 lure handicap....

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
good story david. thanks for sharing and seems like you can always count on ron to the rescue...again, enjoyed every word...

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Great report David, I've never been to Woody's that I didn't have a good time and being able to do it with your kids make it unbeatable!

I've got 2 kids hooked on hunting by taking them to Woody's, and girls to boot. That can't be beat anywhere.

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
Great roport David I posted mine under Woody's yesterday. It was an awesome thing for Woody to do to give us the opportunity and chance to spend time with our children. He will have a few kids of his own one day and he will know what a GREAT thing he has done. Good to meet you guys as well, and we would like to go againafter Christmas our selfs. I need to get back to packaging meat. Got 56# of sausage,10# of burger,two 6# back strap that we fried up tonight, two loins that barely waited on the bacon to defrost before they hit the grill, andtwo2# roasts.I got the breakfast and Jerkey covered next time!

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds great, hopefully we'll be in! I suspect we'll be hunting in the woods next trip after what we saw while trailing that stud! Even the place we walked to Saturday morning looked good.

Once again folks I want to emphasize this is like Disney World , Bush Gardens , you name it to a kid that loves to hunt and fish. Woody is a gracious host and will pamper you or leave you alone. It was like hanging out with an old friend and we had never met. ( Not that I really expected anything different though).

By the way Woody I intentionally didn't fish but would be more than happy to prep you for any contest against any real competition. Time and distance is my biggest problem. Bass are bass so catching a few dozen in a pond would pose no real challenge for a Tennessee boy.:sleeping

4,058 Posts
ya it did....off the beaten trail. i love it. i just hate hunting it by myself. i mean, even though buddy and i were 30 yards apart, i saw deer he didnt, and vice versa. that's why i love thick stuff.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Great post Dave... Woody, glad to see that you are back on your feet and doing all the things a young man should do. It has to feel good to know you're making such an impact on these other young people's lives. There's nothing I like reading about more than someone helping someone else out and that's why I keep coming back and reading these posts. As always, our personal Ass Hat (Ron - for new members) can always be counted on to keep us on track, Thanks Ron...:poke Sorry I don't post as much as I used to, but I'm trying to get out of the house a little more when I don't have my head in the books. :grouphug:bowdown

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
David Ridenour (12/11/2007)

By the way Woody I intentionally didn't fish but would be more than happy to prep you for any contest against any real competition. Time and distance is my biggest problem. Bass are bass so catching a few dozen in a pond would pose no real challenge for a Tennessee boy.:sleeping
You didn't ignore a gauntlet throw in your face did you? Not the cocky kid I know, no way.

4,058 Posts

You didn't ignore a gauntlet throw in your face did you? Not the cocky kid I know, no way.
oh god here we go. and it's bad enough that i'm surfin around on this website after a few col-bers. bring your A-game next time little mountain man. all your tricks of the trade, everything you've learned with your very very old age. you will be put to shame by a young whipper snapper like myself. anyone who can beat me in bass fishing earns their $$ back on the weekend...

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Great report David, glad you guys were able to get out. Great job Woody, keep it up. Those memories will last a lifetime.:bowdown

·
Registered
10,749 Posts
anyone who can beat me in bass fishing earns their $$ back on the weekend...

Your on Woody, How about the weekend of Jan 26-27, you open then, you can keep the money, I'll even double it if I go down in flames. Braggin wrights and the oportunity to hunt there again are worth it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts