Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>First and foremost, congratulations to the New Orleans Saints for their big win last night. This season will go down in the history books for sure boys! We were able to fish three days this past week with mixed results. On 1/18 I had the McIntyre group. The day started out dark and dreary as we made our way down a now extremely cold <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Mississippi river</st1:place>. Once offshore we found several groups of birds that were working over pogies but the surface temps were somewhere near 57 degrees and full of kings and sharks. I hit probably my 15<SUP>th</SUP> rig when I made the decision that the wahoo were not biting even though the kings and jacks were in a full onslaught on anything that came by their face. About lunch time we changed gears and started tuna fishing. At first ?junk on the chunk? was the only pull and I was donating hooks at a crazy rate. This went on for about an hour and I was thinking in the back of my head, ?I woke up early for this?? Our luck soon changed and we landed our first yellowfin in the 50lb class. At this time Capt. Eddie was hooked up and Blue Runner was also hooked up. We kept at it and pulled another one in the 70lb class and farmed another before the sharks showed up. Tough day, but good spirits and a few tuna steaks to go around. The next day I fished aboard a private boat with yellowfin being the primary object. Still mad at the Wahoo, I pulled another 15 rigs in absolutely beautiful water with no love but junk fish. The conditions were perfect but the current had completely shut down. The kings were just rolling on my chunks as the seemed to sit motionless in the water. No tuna and no current. Nothing but a calm sea and bright sunshine. I was scheduled to fish on Saturday and after 48 changes in the forecast I made the decision to go for it despite the crazy looks I got at the dock in the morning! The fog was thick and didn?t break for at least 20 miles. The sea state wasn?t quite 3-5ft as predicted but was getting worse as the day wore on. I finally found one little patch of blue water that was pushing north and first pass we doubled up and boated a wahoo that was in the 60lb class and lost the other boat side. It?s amazing to me that a fish can shake a bait with 5/0 Owner hooks and strong drag. I was experiencing a bad case of ?rubber hook? syndrome. Definition- a serious side effect that is known to happen to many people that pursue the ever popular wahoo, causing great stress and a sharp rise in blood pressure. We made another move and tripled up right out of the gate and the amberjack were the victims this time. Their large mouth combined with Mick Jager lips just can?t shake a stretch 30. We pulled a limit of those guys and made our way back to the first spot in now 5ft seas and pulled the hooks on another elusive wahoo before pulling the plug and heading north. We picked the fog up again at 20 miles from the pass and tip toed our way back to the marina. Sometimes things are tough and sometimes they are easy. I am still thankful that I can fish for a living and love every minute of it! <P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><o:p></o:p><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Captain William Wall<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>Pelagic Charters<P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal>1.225.454.5365 <P style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><o:p></o:p>


1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.