Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got out of work early, so I took my 14 year old son out on the boat. He hasn't been too excited about fishing lately, but he wanted to go. Went out of shoreline at around 1530. My plan was to go to three mile with some gulp shrimp and let him catch a bunch of white trout because his attention span is not too long. Anyway, he says he wants to go where "Officer Bill" and I caught the reds last time. So we go out to deer point and start trolling. I've got him piloting to keep himbusy.I'm using Offshore Angler lures, which the fish really seem to like. They are the ones that are about the same size as stretch 25s. We see some pelicans just west of deer point, and I tell him to steer towards them. As soon as we get there, he starts calling out fish on the fish finder, and then the port side reel starts screaming. About two seconds later the starboard side is hooked up! So he takes the starboard and I take the port and we get them both in. His was about 37 inches and mine was a bit smaller. My lure, however, got ripped in half. It was the articulated kind and the little joiner pulled out of the back half. luckily, the fish inhaled the lure, so the front hooks were in its lip.

So I replace that lure and we start trolling again. He goes back over the area where we got the first two, and sure enough, we get another. This one is really pulling line out like crazy. I pulledthe rodout of the rod holder and the line is still going out. I tighten the drag a bit and it's still running. Finally it stops and I start bringing it in, and it runs some more, then nothing. I reel in and the hook is bent. This is the second time I've lost a fish on a bent hook on these Offshore anglers, and I wasn't putting a huge amount of pressure on it (maybe 15 pounds).

Oh well, that's fishing. So we start heading north back toward were we had gotten hook ups, and I see the water boiling up with reds. I had a rod rigged up with a yellow bucktail, so I tell him to cast into it, and he's hooked up. Hebrought that one in, and we chased the school around and caught two more. It was really amazing to see all of the huge fish. Some were jumping out of the water. Others were squirting across the surface like large mouth bass chasing something. He was really excited. Finally we lost the school while fighting fish.

finished up at three mile with a few trout. Thunderstorms in the area, so headed home at 1800. No pics, forgot the camera.

I'm annoyed with Offshore Angler lures. They run true, the fish seem to hit them like crazy, but they just are not put together very well. I've already replaced the hooks on most of mine after losing two nice fish due to bent hooks, and a lure I just bought is broke because is pulled apart. I guess that's why they are $6.95 each.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Awesome

As for the lures, just re rig them with quality hooks, and I would suggest Single J-hooks because they don't give the fish leverage so he can't wrestle himself off of the hook, and they are easier to get of out fish you release.

·
Registered
873 Posts
WOW!!:clap what a terrific write up. I felt like I was there at deer point with you. Glad you got the kiddo out and he enjoyed it. It's all about the action.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Great job, guys! :clap That is a great spot. Next year I want to be out there closer to the end of the month! We'll slay'em!

Up here in the cold. Don't worry, I'm making them pay for my misery.

Officer Bill :nonono

1 - 9 of 9 Posts