Bearded Brotula
14,937 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: Brandon_SPC2

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our bucks are really small in body and racks. If he was standing next to a 1.5 spike for perspective, he would dwarf him. Check out my hunt from last Saturday on YouTube and you will see a 3.5 8pt walk out at 40 yards....small body, small rack. I got a 7.5+ (aged by a biologist...we have to pull jawbones) last year and he weighed 142# live weight...not dressed. It is what is...we just accept it and hunt knowing we ain't gonna get a record buck off this land. 97 is the highest buck score in 13 years (we have to score every rack).

Plenty of other hunters in the area "cull" anything with horns -- that's not for me. I'll wait for the right one and if it gets down to the wire, I'll fill my buck tag with this one in February!!

Happy Hunting! I'm going this afternoon!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I use to hunt out at Tyndall AFB and seen some crazy old deer out there. Seen some hammers but you are definitely right about the body sizes on them beach deer even with age.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I use to hunt out at Tyndall AFB and seen some crazy old deer out there. Seen some hammers but you are definitely right about the body sizes on them beach deer even with age.
I got a 116 net score/170# live weight off there and some others nice ones....big does too. Their bone structure is very different....when you grab the ankles to drag a Tyndall deer it's like grabbing a human arm....when you drag a deer from our property, it's like grabbing your dog's leg!!! If you haven't been to Tyndall since Hurricane Michael, it's sad. NO TREES. I hate going there for the gym or commissary because it's so depressing....haven't hunted it in a few years, but I guess the deer are still there.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts