Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked NOAA marine weather this morning at 6:30 and it said seas were less than 1 foot. Pretty bumpy crossing the bay. Cleared the jetty at Destin and turned left headed to Grayton to drift the rocks and then work back to the west looking for cobia. NOT! Wind was a steady 25 with seas running 2-3 out of the east. Sucked. Only went about 3 miles and had to come back to the west. Fished the inside alone the jetties and picked up a few small gray snapper but nothing else. Will sure be glad when the spring winds are gone and the days get a little lazier.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
noaa is pronounced noway. They are never right. Go here http://fish-here.com/ and use their reef cast. They are the closest thing to right, even though weather does have surprises often.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had Destin CG boat headed out the pass WOT while we were there. Chnl 16 had a call for a SUP in distress off Santa Rosa Beach.
If they got out beyond the 2nd bar they were in some deep Do-Do.

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
My weather report said 2 to 4 today droping to 2 ft. It was that here in pensacola.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Had Destin CG boat headed out the pass WOT while we were there. Chnl 16 had a call for a SUP in distress off Santa Rosa Beach.
If they got out beyond the 2nd bar they were in some deep Do-Do.
I saw some yakkers launching when we came in. They were in kayaks that were NOT ideal for the Gulf. They did have their PFDs on but I went by them and pointed out that it may look beautiful and calm right here on the beach but that it was nasty further out. They thanked me and as I was loading up it appeared as they listened to my advice and stayed in close. These strong north winds are no joke for paddle craft!

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
I saw a yacker out around the 3 barges fishing having a ball.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Was he fishing or surfboarding?

·
Super Moderator
28,621 Posts
NOAA-you must always at 1-2 ft to their assessment!!! I checked the weather last Saturday evening before I went to 3MB and it said smooth to slight chop......ended up white cappin!

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
Get MarineWeather App by accuweather. Its been accurate for me. Plus look at the orange beach buoy. Pay attention to the wind and wave directions. They are not always the same direction. Then figure out the seas.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Last night, WKRGW (Mediacom Channel 80), which the same forecast you get on VHF WX Channel 02, forecast 2-3 ft seas for today and 1-2 ft seas for Saturday.

·
Super Moderator
28,621 Posts
Get MarineWeather App by accuweather. Its been accurate for me. Plus look at the orange beach buoy. Pay attention to the wind and wave directions. They are not always the same direction. Then figure out the seas.
Just downloaded...its free, can't hurt! Thanks Ron!

·
Jackson Cuda
46 Posts
Might be me but the forecasts still look like same verbatim as NOAA on their marine forecast page.

Will take time to compare the two.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts