Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13,754 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went for an afternoon run to get our snappers. We were doing pretty good. Then at 5:15 pm, it turned into a Gosh Dogit Adventure!! The rain and the water over the bow on the 25 foot pro line made the electronics non-visible, let alone the bow of the boat. Every 15 seconds I would wipe the compass so we could maintain a northward heading. Time to eat a lot of Advil now.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It stormed all around the house today, but never rained here. Then it cleared up. I told my wife that sometimes it might be good to wait for the afternoon storms to pass then go out for a few hours. Sounds like I may want to still be careful.

Glad you made it home safely.

·
Registered
884 Posts
there were some serious pop-ups around here... no rain at the house but my daughter drove thru some nickle size hail near cottage hill

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
Glad you made it.

I've told lots of folks that "it is better to be on the hill wishing you were fishing than to be fishing and wishing you were on the hill." Remember, we live here. We don't HAVE to go fishing.

I don't do "iffy" anymore. One thing I hated to hear when I was chartering was "We can take it." The older I got, the more I hated that statement. I never had much use for center consoles or kickers. Give me at least a cuddy and a diesel or two every time. Big Outboards are fantastic these days, though.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We was 23 miles out in my brothers sea ray Thursday night. We started to head back in around 8pm but it was to late. Took 8 hrs to get 10 miles. Was the scariest I have ever been through in my life. Buoy reported 35 knot winds and 44 knot gusts north of where we was and that wasnt the worst of it. The first hour felt like 5 hrs. I gave myself a 10 percent chance of getting home when we took the first 3 waves over the bow and the boat almost went over twice. To this day I will never know how we did it but I was driving and it was truly the most intense sickening feeling I've ever had. I will never step on another boat unless it has a working epirb and life raft.
It was the first time I have ever put a life jacket on while driving the boat. And I've been out there alot.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Went for an afternoon run to get our snappers. We were doing pretty good. Then at 5:15 pm, it turned into a Gosh Dogit Adventure!! The rain and the water over the bow on the 25 foot pro line made the electronics non-visible, let alone the bow of the boat. Every 15 seconds I would wipe the compass so we could maintain a northward heading. Time to eat a lot of Advil now.
been there. done that.

jack

Reactions: CPD67

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
It’s that time of year. Great one minute then the next it’s all hell thats broke loose. Glad y’all made it back safely.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,775 Posts
We was 23 miles out in my brothers sea ray Thursday night. We started to head back in around 8pm but it was to late. Took 8 hrs to get 10 miles. Was the scariest I have ever been through in my life. Buoy reported 35 knot winds and 44 knot gusts north of where we was and that wasnt the worst of it. The first hour felt like 5 hrs. I gave myself a 10 percent chance of getting home when we took the first 3 waves over the bow and the boat almost went over twice. To this day I will never know how we did it but I was driving and it was truly the most intense sickening feeling I've ever had. I will never step on another boat unless it has a working epirb and life raft.
It was the first time I have ever put a life jacket on while driving the boat. And I've been out there alot.

I said to myself, I sure hope nobody is out there. I have been were you were back in the mid 90's. It took me 10 years before I got back on a boat for a bay ride, and another 5 to get out the pass, reason I was pier-dude for so long.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Glad you made it in safely Tom. Once in a bad storm out of destin, I had to go about 8 miles east of the pass to make it in the pass. really close following seas made it impossible to enter the pass from the south or west . Isenglass around a cuddy cabin made the ride a lot more tolerable. Friend who hated cuddy cabins changed his mind after that day.

·
Premium Member
9,823 Posts

It was pretty bad where we were too.
Thought I was gonna drink myself to death yesterday.

Reactions: Potsieko and PJIII

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
Glad youade it Tom. Been there a time or three myself. NOT FUN.

Badazz chef called his wife one time and told her if she didn't hear from him in an hour call the uscg. Couldn't drive to the pass, ended up by pier from edge. One wave almost got us. Again not fun.

·
Registered
169 Posts
My son and I planned to go out; up at 4:45, and checked the buoy. No problem; checked radar, and saw a stream of storms headed north. I went out and saw flashes of lightning to the south and west, so, reluctantly I texted him and called it off. It was a good decision.

·
Premium Member
9,823 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts