Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My parents retired and moved here, got a wild hair and my moms got a contract on a bayliner 47 thats located in miami. shes going to see it this week and probly do the paperwork which would make it hers toward the end of the month. Im not sure but I believe the only way to transport it is to drive it where it needs to be, and im not going to lie...I know what im doing with 20-something feet and outboards....no clue exept the clutches are on the left and the throttles are on the right with something that size...and less about the trip from miami to pcola.

The foods always good around my parents and the beer fishing etc along the way. Im not sure what a going rate for someone coming along to make sure everything goes ok is, and probly giving lessons would be but reasonable is reasonable.

thought I might check into the forum and see if anyone here would be for hire for a week with good creds. etc. or have any advice on how to do this.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
and please no flames...its not my idea...im just trying to make it easyer and cheaper on my mom...this is her idea and I understand the big deal of the whole plan...but shes got it in her head and its going to happen on way or another

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I wanna come. I dont have much to offer, like you I can handle a 20 footer, but I lie well. Beer, fishing and a week or so on the water, wow. Just kidding of course. Good luck, sounds like a great trip.

·
Jim T's sworn enemy!
2,258 Posts
Contact Tony Blanton @ Edgewater marine. I know he's moved several boats and could surely help ya out if not guide ya in the right direction. Good luck man.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Iv been talking with him, very helpful. Its a turn key trip, just need someone who knows what they are doing. Id personally like to learn how to drive the thing. 700 miles should about do it :banghead

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
tom1s (3/2/2010)Iv been talking with him, very helpful. Its a turn key trip, just need someone who knows what they are doing. Id personally like to learn how to drive the thing. 700 miles should about do it :banghead
when do you need to have it brought up?....if on the weekends (fri,sat,sun),send me a PM......

·
Registered
848 Posts
I have a good friend (Captain/Mate) down south that is looking for some work. He is extremely well traveled and has excellent credentials. He would do you a good job at a great price. Please pm me or call 850-232-6256 and I will put you in touch with him, thanks

·
Registered
743 Posts
Another option that may be more cost effective is to have your vessel brought up on a truck. We did this last year on our boat, and it proved to be much cheaper than driving it. Go to www.uship.com and enter your vessel info. Within hours, you will have multiple bids for transport. Like I said, we did this last year on a vessel from Freeport TX, and we saved quite a bit of money! Good Luck

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
While it might be cheaper to haul it up, if time permits. it would be more fun to drive it up. Something to consider:

Unless they plan to always have a captain, they might want to consider getting "lessons" on theoperation of the boat and some time using the boat before starting the trip.

Unless the plan is to make a "speed " trip up, the trip should be slow and enjoyable. There are a lot of places to stop and see on the way from south florida. The should take advantage of theopportunity There several coast guides that will describe place to stay and things to see.

You did not mention age or restrictions, so I am assuming they can handle the trip. Of course if they are not adventurous, disregard this suggestion.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
+1 for Tony Blanton. He also brings his marine mechanics knowledge to the table and that IMO would be invaluable.

·
Registered
20 Posts
in regards to your need for a delivery captain.the going rate is 350. per day plus expences .there are several here in destin my self included.my # is850/259-7079 captain skip mcallister / captains delivery service llc.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks for all the replys folks...I had never thought about shipping it....its a 47 foot, but 54 feet overall. Il try that website. It would probly be cheaper...and Iv got to say that Id feel more comfortable geting used to the thing in some water that I know well....like pcola.

·
Registered
20 Posts
being a 47 it probably has a radar arch or a fly bridge.make sure that you you have a qualifed marine tech to reassemble it when you get it back to p-cola.some times when you take apart an older boat if it is not secured right it will warp and it won't fit back togather.this could be very costly.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts