Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Amberjack
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm just getting into the whole duck hunting thing this year and am a newbie to it. As well as a newbie to hunting in Pensacola FL, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on the types of duck decoys that are most recommended or are best for hunting the Perdido/Pensacola Bay areas. Any kind of recommendations or advice on this subject would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Up in the rivers you’ll find woodies. In the bays you’ll see bluebills, buffleheads and redheads. Diving ducks are more apt to come into large decoy spreads, but if you don’t have 100 decoys don’t let that stop you from trying with 12

·
Registered
101 Posts
One big tip is ducks like movement in the decoys...I find if I'm I set up on the spot they want to be just 2 robo ducks can be more effective than a few dozen decoys. I'm not much of a diver duck hunter so Im not so sure how robo ducks in the salt or open water would work.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
https://www.mojooutdoors.com/spinning-wing-decoys/mojo-flockaflickers

These and a couple of spinning wing decoys as well as a jerk cord are very effective.

Not sure about diving ducks around here. Hunting in Arkansas we often only put out three decoys. A spinning wing drake, a floating drake and a hen. They have to be placed into the wind with the hen slightly ahead of the two drakes. So it looks like she is trying to get away from them. Mallard Drakes flying over usually cannot resist the chance to fight over a hen.
More effective in the field rather than flooded timber.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Divers are pretty willing to decoy unless they’ve been shot at in the area before. I’ve had luck with a dozen, but oftentimes use 100 or more. Movement is important, but since your hunting open bays there is usually enough wind or waves to give decent movement in the decoys. Sometimes I’ll use a mojo. Jerk cords are great too. Also, I rarely call to any divers. They like to decoy, let them. Don’t be the guy blaring a drake mallard at a group of redheads. Use adequate weights and cord length on the decoys. Don’t want to spend the morning chasing them down.

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
Don’t be the guy blaring a drake mallard at a group of redheads

A drake mallard just makes a low scraping sound.
The Hen is the one that makes the long calls.
You are right though. a whistle is the best call for divers. More ducks make a whistling sound than quack.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don’t be the guy blaring a drake mallard at a group of redheads

A drake mallard just makes a low scraping sound.
The Hen is the one that makes the long calls.
You are right though. a whistle is the best call for divers. More ducks make a whistling sound than quack.
That’s interesting! I’ve never lived in a state that holds mallards. Never killed one. I was more so referring to not being the guy blowing the reeds out of a call whenever they see a bird a mile away

1 - 8 of 8 Posts