Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
When you say "toast" does that mean there was a little water in the oil or a little oil in the water? If there was a little water, I would suspect a bad seal (either the bearing housing seal, water pump seal, drive shaft seal depending on the engine model). If it was all water it could be a complete seal failure or something else (ie: a cracked housing if it had water in it over the winter).

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
The seal behind the prop could cause this, with the help of fishing line, there are also 4 other seals that could cause it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
this motor is a 88 johnson 200,by toast i mean the oil was fully murky and almost as thick as mayo.i'm lucky i didnt burn it up. i went and bought a water pump kit and i'm gonna give it a shot putting it in as soon as i can figure out how break loose the shifting linkage.any help?

the seal behind the prop looks fine.how many other seals do i need to buy that didn't come in that water pump kit?

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
The water pump kit doesn't include the lower unit seals. Give Kenny Mann at Emerald Coast Marine a call and he will assist you with what you need. He also has the required parts. It sounds like from your description of the oil that it's just bad seals. That lower case gear oil is made to do what you say it looks like and not have sever consequences if fixed as soon as found.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
First, I would recommend buying a shop manual for your engine. This is always a good investment if you are planning on doing alot of maintenance work yourself. Second, it is difficult to tell if a seal is good or not just by looking at it. It may be bright and new looking but no longer supple or flexible enough to maintain a good seal when the engine is under load.

I don't know about your particular engine but to disconnect the linkage on my 200 Evinrude there is a single pin screw under the front of the engine block. You have to use a socket and a universal joint to get to it but once there it comes rightout. To get it to align right for re-iinstallation (on mine) you have to make sure the lower unit is in reverse. Yours may be different, but that would be explained in the manual.:Wow:

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
this whole ordeal has been a humbling experience to say the least.i have put the new pump on and can not get the lower unit back on . would someone be willing to help me put this thing back on .i would come to you ,whatever would make it easy for you.or any tips on getting this thing back in would help.thanks

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Drag it by the shop today,, i will put it back on for you and wont charge you a dime,,

·
Registered
10,184 Posts
I hope the hell you changed ALL the seals along with the water pump kit. If you didn't you will have the knowledge to remove it again the first time you use it. :doh

·
Registered
573 Posts
Emerald Coast Marine are the people they are always willing to help out. This is where I go to get parts & stuff for my boat. Plus there advice is free and they will help in any way they can.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts