Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have any luck recouping money from a gas station for too much water in the gas? if so, how did you go about it? twice now i have paid for gallons of water along with my gas. thanks circle k.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Funny you should ask. I spent most of the day yesterday with Zeke from East Bay Outdoors. He had purchased nearly $100.00 worth of gas from the Tom Thumb on Hwy 87 here in Navarre only to find a lot of water in it. We had to pump out all the water, replace two filters, and 6 spark plugs. We also dumped a whole gallon of Sea Foam into the fuel to try and evaporate the moisture in the tank. Got dark before we could button everything up so we are waiting until this morning to try it all again. Everytime I put gas in my boat I also put in some type of treatment to eliminate the water but it is getting to a rediculous point now. As far as getting any dollars returned; we have not tried, but we did have them stick the tank and they too were amazed at the amount of water in the gas tanks at the station. No wonder the price of gas is going down; it's half water.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I am guessing... ONLY GUESSING that it will be harder to get money from them... I think the use of ethanol blend is a big part of this issue. the alcohol can absorb water from the air. Then they never get all the gas sold before refilling so it makes sense that this is just one more issue will face having this GARBAGE gas crammed down our throats whether we like it or not!

Brent

·
Registered
380 Posts
I spent most of yesterday afternoon cleaning eight, 5 gal., and several smaller plastic gas cans to get ready for Hurricane season. I could not believe the amount of crap in the bottom of each one. Some of it was dry granular stuff and some was just brown sludge. These cans were bought new several years ago, so all of this came from the pumps. :hoppingmad

I know about 'Staybil', but what does 'Seafoam' do?

Also, just FYI...'Super Clean' cleaner/degreaser will clean out the cans instantly and rinse clean. Just be careful using it around aluminum because it will cause it to start corroding in about three minutes. It will also strip wax instantly.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
<table border="0" cellpadding="9" cellspacing="1" width="100%"><tbody><tr id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl02_trRow1"><tr id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl02_trRow1"><td id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl02_tdPostCell1" class="TableCell_Light"> <span id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl02_lblAnchorPoint"><a name="bm574413"></a> <div style="float: left; width: 100%;" class="LargeTxtBold"> KNOT RITE </td></tr></tr></tbody></table> You needed to invest in a Fuel-Filter Funnel.

Fuel- Filter- Funnel

·
Registered
399 Posts
proveing the water came from them will be impossible .... they will only pay you if they feel it will help stop sales damage ...like if you posted an arical in paper , but then you could be sued if you couldnt prove the water wasnt there before you filled up . sucks ....atleast it wasnt salt water ...i had that issue and getting the water out was just the beginning of my problems

·
Registered
676 Posts
Patoz (30/05/2010)I spent most of yesterday afternoon cleaning eight, 5 gal., and several smaller plastic gas cans to get ready for Hurricane season. I could not believe the amount of crap in the bottom of each one. Some of it was dry granular stuff and some was just brown sludge. These cans were bought new several years ago, so all of this came from the pumps. :hoppingmad

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);">I know about 'Staybil', but what does 'Seafoam' do?

Also, just FYI...'Super Clean' cleaner/degreaser will clean out the cans instantly and rinse clean. Just be careful using it around aluminum because it will cause it to start corroding in about three minutes. It will also strip wax instantly.
Seafoam is an engine cleaner. It works GREAT! I use it on all of my small engines for my lawn service. Sometimes my older weedeaters and edgers get hard to start (7 or 8 pulls) and i'll add some seafoam to the gas and after it's run through the engine they'll start in 2 or 3 pulls!

Me and my dad bought a 96' basstracker with a 40 hp Force outboard on it. It cranked every time, but ran really rough when idling. We replaced sparkplugs and ran Seafoam through every tank last summer and now it purrs at idle!

I use it on ALL my mowers, small engines, my outboard, and even my truck several times a year. It's somewhat expensive, but completely WORTH IT!

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I took the boat straight from the shop to the gas station. From the gas station to the boat launch. I can at least prove this load. I will definitely get the filter. When I talked to circle k they said the store on stewart st in milton does not have ethanol.

·
Registered
38 Posts
FIRST TIME I HAVE SEEN OR HEARD OF A FUEL FILTER FUNNEL.. WHERE I GET ONE AND CAN YOU USE THIS IN LINE WHILE PUTTING GAS INTO YOUR BOAT.. IS THERE LIKE FILTERS IN A COFFEE POT OR WHAT.. WOULD LIKE MORE INFO. SORRY, I MAY BE HEADING THIS THREAD INTO A DIFFERENT DIRECTION BUT I'M SURE WE ALL NEED THE INFO. A SHORT POST OR PM WOULD DO FINE.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
KNOT RITE (30/05/2010)FIRST TIME I HAVE SEEN OR HEARD OF A FUEL FILTER FUNNEL.. WHERE I GET ONE AND CAN YOU USE THIS IN LINE WHILE PUTTING GAS INTO YOUR BOAT.. IS THERE LIKE FILTERS IN A COFFEE POT OR WHAT.. WOULD LIKE MORE INFO. SORRY, I MAY BE HEADING THIS THREAD INTO A DIFFERENT DIRECTION BUT I'M SURE WE ALL NEED THE INFO. A SHORT POST OR PM WOULD DO FINE.
W

We used them in the 60's even though people laugh at them.

·
Registered
380 Posts
KNOT RITE (30/05/2010)FIRST TIME I HAVE SEEN OR HEARD OF A FUEL FILTER FUNNEL.. WHERE I GET ONE AND CAN YOU USE THIS IN LINE WHILE PUTTING GAS INTO YOUR BOAT.. IS THERE LIKE FILTERS IN A COFFEE POT OR WHAT.. WOULD LIKE MORE INFO. SORRY, I MAY BE HEADING THIS THREAD INTO A DIFFERENT DIRECTION BUT I'M SURE WE ALL NEED THE INFO. A SHORT POST OR PM WOULD DO FINE.
X-Shark posted the hyper-link right above the picture, but here it is again: http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=100849&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10106&subdeptNum=10434&classNum=10442 .

I called West Marine right after reading this thread and they have 3 of the large size and 2 of the medium size, one which they put one on hold for me. As far as using it in-line...NO, it not something you install. It is simply a funnel with a cylindrical shaped, 100 micron screen filter in the center which the fuel must pass through. This is a fairly course medium by comparison, but it is small enough to stop water and particulate material such as rust, sand, etc. It is $25.00, but is one of the better made ones, and a small price to pay when compared to the problems it can prevent.

·
Registered
380 Posts
bamaman08 (30/05/2010)
Patoz (30/05/2010)I spent most of yesterday afternoon cleaning eight, 5 gal., and several smaller plastic gas cans to get ready for Hurricane season. I could not believe the amount of crap in the bottom of each one. Some of it was dry granular stuff and some was just brown sludge. These cans were bought new several years ago, so all of this came from the pumps. :hoppingmad

<span class="Apple-style-span" style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 0);">I know about 'Staybil', but what does 'Seafoam' do?

Seafoam is an engine cleaner. It works GREAT! I use it on all of my small engines for my lawn service. Sometimes my older weedeaters and edgers get hard to start (7 or 8 pulls) and i'll add some seafoam to the gas and after it's run through the engine they'll start in 2 or 3 pulls!

Me and my dad bought a 96' basstracker with a 40 hp Force outboard on it. It cranked every time, but ran really rough when idling. We replaced sparkplugs and ran Seafoam through every tank last summer and now it purrs at idle!

I use it on ALL my mowers, small engines, my outboard, and even my truck several times a year. It's somewhat expensive, but completely WORTH IT!

Thanks for the info! Sounds like I need to get some of that stuff.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the info about the filter. I will have one this week! I will post a follow up after my talk with circle k regional office. I pumped 15 gals of water off my tank today and gave up. Taking it back to the shop tomorrow.

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
I'm not saying you guys aren't getting water from these places. But if you have an Aluminum tank and don't fill the tank All the way after a trip and let it set for weeks in the heat of the day and cool of night they will make water and quite a lot of it. I have never had a water problem and fill my tank FULL every time I return from a trip also I do use my boat year around. It's just a suggestion I'm not in any way sticking up for the gas stations. It's just fummy that all these water problems seem to arrive after a long winter of boats sitting for months with maybe a half full tank.

·
Registered
5,652 Posts
I will tell you this about the funnel.

It will take a while to fuel your boat if used at the gas station. This is because you can't just open the gas nozzle WFO. In fact it will be a lot slower , but you will not have water get in your boat thru the gas pump.

Now in the pix I posted. The gas was being filtered from a fuel tank that was getting pumped out and replaced. All this fuel was stored in plastic gas cans. It was then run thru the fuel- filter -funnel again as the gas was poured into several vehicles as a precaution. There was no problems with any of them.

Yet we filtered out 14 1/2gals of water in a 45gal fuel tank originally when we emptied the tank.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts