Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just posting to see if anyone else has ever had a similar issue... sorry its a bit of a read, but the situation is weird.

If Reel Twisted catches wind of this that would be awesome, we're in cantonment and I saw he's the Water Co GM.

So to lay it out, when I got home today I was going through the bills and saw the ECUA bill. Upon opening I noticed that where we normally do not have a water charge (other than a 10.48 which I assumed was an upkeep) The charge for this past month was significantly higher (90). That wouldn't normally be a huge deal except that my wife and I, have been under the notion that we drew our water from two wells on our property since we purchased.

As I have continued to dig into this, A couple things strike me as odd. When we bought the house (a year and a couple months ago) we set up the utilities and my wife called a few times trying to establish whether or not we were using the city water. After talking with customer service we had the water turned on. After a month or so when we noticed the bills weren't showing any usage, I ran the sink, and the sprinklers at the same time and checked in the meter box. The dials were not moving at all and it seemed conclusive that we were on the well not the city water. I've done this a few times since with the same result.

Since then not much has changed. Until today after getting the bill and finding customer service had left for the day I went out to repeat the test. The first thing I noticed as I reached the water box in the yard, is that someone has obviously serviced it. the overgrown grass was cut back, and inside I found the box in much better order since last time I looked. The meter was also considerably cleaner/almost new looking though our bill does not reflect a replacement was installed. This time while running the water the meter is moving.

What seems apparent now is that the meter has been broken for some time, at least as long as we have lived here. And what is very concerning is that the meter reading on my bill says that between my wife and I we have used 36719 gallons of water in the last month (no pools-don't run irrigation). What moves beyond concerning to downright alarming is that the meter reading I saw today (12 days in) indicates that my wife and I have used 67493 LCFT or 505770 galllons of water... in twelve days. If that's true, that would mean the taps at my place have been putting out 1756 gallons an hour, every hour, for the last twelve days. Fortunately the dial was not humming like a weed wacker down there and ceased when I turned the water off, so I assume the value was either on the new meter, or has been frozen there for the last year and change.

This just flat out seems insane... I am certain I would have noticed a geyser emerging from the lawn if the numbers were accurate. The part that worries me the most about this is that, It is more than apparent that someone serviced the box and possibly replaced the meter, and I am wondering why we weren't notified that a problem existed. I would certainly not like to be on the paying end of a typographical error in billing or going from a meter that wasn't working to one that works far to quickly.

My intent is to talk to customer service in the morning and explain what I have found. Its quite a startle when you go from thinking you're on well since you've lived here-to finding out the city meter says you're consuming 42,000 gals a day.

·
Praedator
9,948 Posts
Ummmm, to be on a well, you need a pump. You have lived there a year and some change and you didn't know whether you had a big pump on the property for your water.

Definitely call and talk to customer service. I am not sure what your first post on here is trying to accomplish first of all. Your situation is quite odd and only the water company can figure that one out. The utility easement on your property allows them to work on the meter without telling you etc... It's nice to tell you, but not necessary.

Sounds like they finally realized that your meter was not working in their system. Why it's charging large amounts, who knows.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ummmm, to be on a well, you need a pump. You have lived there a year and some change and you didn't know whether you had a big pump on the property for your water.

Definitely call and talk to customer service. I am not sure what your first post on here is trying to accomplish first of all. Your situation is quite odd and only the water company can figure that one out. The utility easement on your property allows them to work on the meter without telling you etc... It's nice to tell you, but not necessary.

Sounds like they finally realized that your meter was not working in their system. Why it's charging large amounts, who knows.
There is in fact a small pump station, the breakers for it are in the house. Having had no problems and having never had a well before I've had no reason to inspect it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

there is a small pump station, a little hard to get to. The breakers are in the house and on, and having no issues i've never inspected it. i've never had a well either so wouldn't know much on it anyhow.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I don't know about you but my Ecua Bill is outrageous in cantonment compared to what it was in ensley, I can't believe they charge more for sewer usage than water usage.

·
Praedator
9,948 Posts
there is a small pump station, a little hard to get to. The breakers are in the house and on, and having no issues i've never inspected it. i've never had a well either so wouldn't know much on it anyhow.
Ok, you might choose this time to go check it out. Something as serious as the water you are drinking etc... should be kind of important. These things should have been pointed out to you in the inspection of the house and stated in a seller's disclosure when you bought the house. One of the questions usually pertains to city water/utilities etc... that the seller will fill out and telling you what utilities are.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
also, just did the math... if the number was correct on the meter. Just my wife and I, would have used 50 gallons an hour for the every hour since we have owned the house... once again just the two of us-no pool, don't run the sprinklers hardly ever, both working full time jobs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

**also Telum, I posted because its a good place to ask a lot of people in pcola if they have ever had the problem. hence the off topic sub. Been reading posts on here a long while, just hadn't had anything of interest to note.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Doesnt a well used for drinking or house water have to be permited by the County and have filters and what not? I think the rules are a bit diffeent for an irrigation well.

turn off the ECUA meter box valve and turn on the water in the house. If water comes out, your well is working or your getting water from somewhere, plus your well pump should kick on.

Guess your not on ECUA sewage because your water bill would be the least of your worries!!

Good luck

billd

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Ok, you might choose this time to go check it out. Something as serious as the water you are drinking etc... should be kind of important. These things should have been pointed out to you in the inspection of the house and stated in a seller's disclosure when you bought the house. One of the questions usually pertains to city water/utilities etc... that the seller will fill out and telling you what utilities are.:thumbsup:
I bought a duplex years ago in PCB. I lived there for about a year and noticed what looked to be a brand new water meter in front of the other side of the house. Come to find out the other side of the duplexes water meter had been covered up for years and someone had been paying a water bill and it wasn't my tennant. He thought I was paying it and I figured he paid it. Weird stuff happens. :001_huh:

·
Registered
3,520 Posts
Seems as if the only good news here is that the meter stops when you shut the water off so it sounds as if you don't have a leak. Up here where I live, it's a big no-no to have a domestic well (not seperate irrigation) and city water even tied into the same line. Several years back, we had to cut and divert our well water line to the house when we had city water come in. Didn't want any possibility of the well water backing into the city system. Makes sense.
I don't know if the meters down there have any type of multiplier in them but it should be a fairly easy problem to resolve once you get in touch with the water system folks. You can calculate or infer your water usage as well if you know pressure and diameter of pipe where the tap is.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Any possibility of city water flowing into your well system through a valve of some kind? Seems like a long shot but like Mark alluded to it could happen. Also we had a leak under a shed that kept our water will high until we found it. Rerouted the line rather than dig under the structure. (It was on our side of the meter of course so the work was on our dime.)

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
ECUA has been replacing residential meters with electronic and wireless units.
The meter man/maid only has to cruise by to read your meter.
The numbers you see on the meter are the current total, not the amount used since your last meter reading.
When they changed ours about two years ago, they did not notify us in any manner.
The numbers on the new meter might have started with the same numbers on the old meter.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I got a $300 dollar water bill from ECUA once. This happened a few years back when ECUA installed the "Smart Meters" that read themselves. During the meter install, an old shutoff valve was cracked causing a leak. ECUA told me it was my problem because it was on my side of the meter.
I informed them ECUA I did not have a problem until they changed the meter out and the leak started. Anyway, they settled with me on paying half of the bill for their mistake!
The new meter-box with the antenna was not installed flush with the lawn. I called several times for them to fix it, having to mow around it instead of over it was a pain. They never did. My Son mowed the antenna and top off of the meter-box a few months later, so I guess we are even.:whistling:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update

Well in my call with customer service this morning several things got sorted. After inquiring about the serial number they had on file for my meter and seeing that it did not match the one in the ground, I'm less worried about the bill for 500,000 gal now. They said they switched the meter out because the old was broken and that the high bill for last month was to catch us up for the 12 months + that it wasn't reading.

I figure they probably have zero evidence for how much we actually used but considering we must have been using thier water and not our own we will live with it. As long as next month isn't insane that is. The only thing left now is to figure out why the well wasn't going and if it's worth the trouble to switch

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The only thing left now is to figure out why the well wasn't going and if it's worth the trouble to switch
I just moved to Cantonment from out of state 3 months ago and several of my neighbors have wells in addition to city water. They all say the wells are only to water the landscaping and fill their pools and do not connect to the house plumbing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts