Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
Just a step closer to becoming "National" forest land....
Bingo! Just a matter of time before they say certain areas of Blackwater are off limits to hunting. I don't hunt there, so doesn't really affect me...except for the fact that it's another sign that the government is intruding more and more on the hobbies that I love in some way or another.

·
Registered
541 Posts
To the ones that are complaining about military operations "ruining" their hunting, you should take a step back and see the irony of your mentality. If I need to explain myself, that says alot..

·
Registered
491 Posts
To the ones that are complaining about military operations "ruining" their hunting, you should take a step back and see the irony of your mentality. If I need to explain myself, that says alot..
I agree!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Blackwater Forest is how many hundred thousand acres. God forbid they inconvience any of you!

·
Praedator
10,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was not posting this saying that it was a good thing or a bad thing. Just an FYI type of thing. I work for a part of Eglin that uses Eglin land for testing etc...

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I don't think anyone is really complaining too much, but do you think that the military should just be able to take any piece of land and use it as they wish?? I mean, the US government only owns a few 100 million acres of property already...

·
Registered
586 Posts
Actually Eglin used to be National Forest. It was the Choctawhatchee National Forest, handed over from the Dept of Ag to the DoD in 1940

·
Registered
316 Posts
the irony is that the military needs and use of vast areas of land here in the panhandle is a big part of what helps keeps this area in its natural state and from being overrun.

when I first read this, especially about the part where they want to do most of the ops at night, I had a vision of someone running into a group of nice gentlemen predawn in the woods on the way to their stand!

·
Praedator
10,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually Eglin used to be National Forest. It was the Choctawhatchee National Forest, handed over from the Dept of Ag to the DoD in 1940
Yep. Started though with a local business man.

A local businessman and airplane buff, James E. Plew, saw the potential of a military payroll to boost the depression-stricken economy in the local area. He leased to the City of Valparaiso 137 acres on which an airport was established in 1933, and in 1934, Plew offered the U.S. government a donation of 1,460 contiguous acres for the bombing and gunnery base. This leasehold became the headquarters for the Valparaiso Bombing and Gunnery Base activated on 14 June 1935 under the command of Captain Arnold H. Rich. On 4 August 1937, the base was redesignated Eglin Field in honor of Lieutenant Colonel Frederick I. Eglin, U.S. Air Corps, killed on 1 January 1937 in an aircraft crash.

With the outbreak of war in Europe in 1939 and President Roosevelt's call for an expansion of the Army Air Corps, General Henry H. "Hap" Arnold ordered the establishment of a proving ground for aircraft armament. Eglin was selected for the testing mission, and on 27 June 1940, the U.S. Forestry Service ceded to the War Department the Choctawhatchee National Forest, consisting of some 384,000 acres. In 1941, the Air Corps Proving Ground was activated, and Eglin became the site for gunnery training for Army Air Forces fighter pilots, as well as a major testing center for aircraft, equipment, and tactics. In March 1942, the base served as one of the sites for Lieutenant Colonel Jimmy Doolittle to prepare his B-25 crews for their raid against Tokyo.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I dont think they should take every piece of land they want, but if they need to, then so be it. Im pretty sure that some guys running around the woods on occasion isnt going to hurt too much considering the reason they are out there. Without guys like that training here to do what they do "over there" we wouldnt have the privilege to hunt anyway. Some of the biggest deer that I have ever seen in Florida have come off of the live fire ranges in Navarre (the same area where the gunships shoot every night and the same area where trucks drive the range roads every night, and the same area where "commandos" run around all the time). So I say, let them do their thing when they need to and if you dont like the distraction, save a grand next year and join a hunting club... I just hate hearing folks fuss about military operations screwing up their recreational stuff, sorry..

·
Registered
491 Posts
I dont believe the government should be able to take ANY piece of land as use it as they wish. Blackwater is not any piece of land, it is government owned land that the government lets us use. If some of it has features that are beneficial to the mission then so be it. When I was a kid hunting on Eglin they hosted "Bold Eagle" every year during the middle of hunting season. Just so happened that one of the areas they used is one that we hunted. So instead of complaining about all of the other places they could have done it, we hunted somewhere else for that two weeks. My point is that IT IS GOVERNMENT LAND that we use at their pleasure. If your area is one that they use, find another one for that time. No different than when they clearcut or burn your spot!

·
Registered
681 Posts
This will become a problem when they start closing land in BW. Even if they close it daily its a bunch of horsecrap. I pay good money to be able hunt during the season. They want to run operations in areas im paying for access to, do it in the off season. Eglin was unhuntable last season due to everyday section closures where I hunt. Eglin most likely wont be getting my 55-60 bucks for a license this year and if BW starts that crap they wont get my 100. Like someone else said, they act like eglin doesnt have enough land.

·
Registered
829 Posts
for those of you who cant fathom possible reason and only think of their own reasons and agenda......one of the highest reasons military units train in areas away from their home base is to conduct training in unfamilier areas. ie: when you practice land navagation all the time in the same areas for years, do you really need a compass to walk the same path to the same end point? no, you learn that area like your own back yard.

Well all the people that complain about the government wasting their tax dollars on the military has reduced the amount of travel allowences for military units to go to another military base to train in unfamilier ground. so they have been reduced to finding local areas to reduce the costs.

We the military are sorry to inconvience your past time hobbies in the event of training to conduct warfare in forrign countries to try and prevent the bad people in this world from blowing up your kid's school to justify the hate they have for you just because you live in America. If you really require deer meat to survive the winter may we suggest food stamps or other government funded food programs. Have a nice day

·
Super Moderator
5,971 Posts
I feel safer around the military than I do a fair share of the hunters I see up there...

·
Registered
541 Posts
This will become a problem when they start closing land in BW. Even if they close it daily its a bunch of horsecrap. I pay good money to be able hunt during the season. They want to run operations in areas im paying for access to, do it in the off season. Eglin was unhuntable last season due to everyday section closures where I hunt. Eglin most likely wont be getting my 55-60 bucks for a license this year and if BW starts that crap they wont get my 100. Like someone else said, they act like eglin doesnt have enough land.

Im sure the "Eglin Military Reservation" will not miss your 55-60 bucks. I cant believe someone could even type that and actually mean it. Your probably the same guy that cusses when they see a training convoy on the interstate or highway because they are driving the roads the same time you are going to work or to play tennis (or whatever it is you do in your free time because it certainly isnt supporting your countries military force/personnel). I still cant believe you called Military folks training to defend YOU, "crap"..

·
Registered
3,048 Posts
I dont believe the government should be able to take ANY piece of land as use it as they wish. Blackwater is not any piece of land, it is government owned land that the government lets us use. If some of it has features that are beneficial to the mission then so be it. When I was a kid hunting on Eglin they hosted "Bold Eagle" every year during the middle of hunting season. Just so happened that one of the areas they used is one that we hunted. So instead of complaining about all of the other places they could have done it, we hunted somewhere else for that two weeks. My point is that IT IS GOVERNMENT LAND that we use at their pleasure. If your area is one that they use, find another one for that time. No different than when they clearcut or burn your spot!
If Blackwater is owned by the federal government, why is it called a State Forest? Does the federal government own it and just set it aside for the state to use and maintain or does the state of Florida actually own it?? Sounds like they signed an agreement with the state, so seems to me it is not federal government land...I ask b/c I don't know myself.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
for those of you who cant fathom possible reason and only think of their own reasons and agenda......one of the highest reasons military units train in areas away from their home base is to conduct training in unfamilier areas. ie: when you practice land navagation all the time in the same areas for years, do you really need a compass to walk the same path to the same end point? no, you learn that area like your own back yard.

Well all the people that complain about the government wasting their tax dollars on the military has reduced the amount of travel allowences for military units to go to another military base to train in unfamilier ground. so they have been reduced to finding local areas to reduce the costs.

We the military are sorry to inconvience your past time hobbies in the event of training to conduct warfare in forrign countries to try and prevent the bad people in this world from blowing up your kid's school to justify the hate they have for you just because you live in America. If you really require deer meat to survive the winter may we suggest food stamps or other government funded food programs. Have a nice day
hopefully everyone won't over-look the couple of good points you made after they read the cry baby guilt trip at the end.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.