Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings All!
I know this is a long shot, but I think I saw that some forum members live in central Alabama.
Sometime between about July 1 - July 22 someone broke into my Dad's (age 91) storage unit in Vestavia (Birmingham), AL, and stole his (full) tackle box, my (full) tackle box, 4 rods, & maybe more. I have no idea about brands, etc. on the rods & reels except that they were all light weight spinning reels, one silver missing the bail, & one red reel. One tackle box was a large Plano grey plastic box (at least 20 years old) with 3 or 4 pull-out trays behind a fold-down door and a top section under the lid (with my fishing license in it). The other tackle box was VERY identifiable. It looked a lot like the picture shown, but was very weathered. It had an old guitar strap on it and on top, a +/- 3" diameter sticker showing the Disney character Goofy.

Some of there items have great sentimental value. If you run across anything like these items, PLEASE contact me ASAP. Call me @ Two 0 five, six12, 82ninetysix with any leads at all. Possible reward-no questions asked. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,502 Posts
Gonna be hard to find, but maybe you'll luck up!!! Hate a dern thief!!!!

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Will keep an eye open from around Selma, although I would guess that your chances of recovery are slim to none. Keep an eye on craigslist and your local pawns.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replies. Been watching Craigslist. Lots of pawn shops near Birmingham. Thinking about trying some.

I think one rod was a very light ugly stick & 1 reel was a Mitchell 302. Also maybe a Mitchell 488 that wasn't on a pole.

I know stuff is replaceable but these items carried lots of memories.

Life goes on and God is good.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
I lost an old tackle box to thieves many years ago.

Plus chain saw, weed eater, roto tiller and lots of other stuff. Nothing mattered except the tackle box, though.

Many, many years ago, I lost my entire arrowhead collection at the Alabama State Fair. That was a killer because I had lots of time invested in hunting them.

Just think about how much shop lifters cost us each year. Stores raise their prices to make up this loss and that affects everybody. About 20 years ago, I tackled a shop lifter that was running out the front door at K-Mart. He was about twice my size and half my age but I busted his ass. I had a perfect shot and I took it exactly right. I was stove up for a few days but kinda proud of myself. BTW, he got caught too. Whacking your head against a door frame tends to slow a guy down a bit. A local cop who responded to the call accidentally kicked him in the head a couple of times but I didn't really see it even though I was about 2 feet away.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
A few years ago I saw a couple of guys at Home Depot, each carrying a box with a large set of cordless tools. They were hanging out by the entrance and when the expected car pulled up they bolted and dove in-one right through an open window.

I was so angered by that I ran to my van and followed. I lost them for a moment & then found the get-away car & driver behind a nearby restaurant, having discharged the thieves to their own cars. I recorded the license plate and reported the whole thing to the store manager & then to the police. I'm trimming the story a bit, but in the end Home Depot declined to take action.

What concerned me the most about this incident was how brazen the thieves were. They had planned carefully and had probably done it before. That pattern could so easily escalate to something much worse where people got hurt.

I understand how desperation can bring out the worst in people when they're trying to survive. Somehow, I don't believe these thieves or the ones who took my Dad's stuff were desperately trying to feed their families. I think they were just people of poor character, stealing because they could.

Life is hard. God is good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts