Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was given this old boat.

It has a 1999 Mercury 30hp outboard, and no holes in the hull. I was told that the motor ran good before it was parked, sometime over 2 years ago. I'm willing to take on the challenge of bringing it back to sea worthy form, but I'm not sure what to do about the hull. First I'm going to strip it down, taking everything out, and pressure washing it. After that, I am going to try to get motor running, cause if the motor is shot, I'm just going to get rid of the whole thing. So where should I start on trying to get the motor running. Is there any reference material on how to tune up this outboard? I'm very mechanically inclined, but not informed so much on outboards. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
8,430 Posts
I am by no means a mechanic and don't claim to know much about motors but seems like the first thing people do when trying to start outboards that haven't been started in a while is squirt oil in the spark plug holes. Just from what I've read.
You also might try starting fluid in the carb.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
First, drain and replace all fluids. Replace all hoses and try to get all the old gas out of the engine. Make SURE everything is lubricated. Replace the spark plugs. While old ones are out slowly spin the engine a time or 2 (this is when you can spray a little light oil in the cylinders), then see what happens with new gas and a fresh battery

·
Registered
9,889 Posts
First thing to check is the hull those mc kee are known to have bad transoms and soft spots in the decks. Check the transom first. Then if its solid the rest can be easily repaired.

·
Registered
3,948 Posts
First thing to check is the hull those mc kee are known to have bad transoms and soft spots in the decks. Check the transom first. Then if its solid the rest can be easily repaired.
Took the words right out of my mouth major fiberglass repairs can be way more expensive then that motor

·
Registered
160 Posts
Take out the spark plugs and hose the cylinders down with PB blaster , or your favorite rust remover oil then work the crank BY HAND nice and slow , keep doing it , and when your like I should be good do it a few more times. Any rust in the cylinder will smoke the mtr . I've seen it more times than I can count on snowmobiles and jetskis.

·
Esteemed Member
259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice guys. All I'm really concerned about is the motor, cause I really don't think that I will be able to get to the bottom of the hull to refinish it. I would rather put this motor on a 14'+ aluminum flat bottom and call it a day. If I could flip it over onto some saw horses, now that would be a different story.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts