Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried this last year, but no one was able to help me out. I know a lot of y'all shoot a lot of hogs and might not mind shooting an extra. I am looking for a whole hog to smoke for an upcoming event and was wondering if anyone could help me out. Last year all I got was an offer to buy a family's pig, which thank God fell through. I'm kind of hoping for better this year. My wallet can't afford to go out and buy another whole pig from the store. Let me know if you think you can help out. Thanks.

·
Bearded Brotula
14,535 Posts
Publix now sells whole hogs. You have to give them a couple weeks notice, though. Three different sizes. The smallest around 50 lbs and up to 100.

My bad, didn't read the whole post before I started typing.

·
Registered
14,927 Posts
You need to go to the sale pen between Brewton and flomaton on hwy 31. They auction them off live and I think you have to kill them before you can bring them back across the state line but pretty cheap... Like twenty bucks last time I went

·
I'VE never caught a
1,633 Posts
If only you would have posted this yesterday i shot about an 80-90 pound sow and had a hard time to finding someone to take it. Ill keep you in mind if i get another one in the next day or so.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
You need to go to the sale pen between Brewton and flomaton on hwy 31. They auction them off live and I think you have to kill them before you can bring them back across the state line but pretty cheap... Like twenty bucks last time I went
Where exactly is this place or the name I can look up. If hogs are that cheap I'l drive up there and pick up a couple pigs and take them to the processor.

·
Registered
14,927 Posts
Pretty sure it's called the Escambia county livestock co-op. tel:(251)867-5111 I think.
Everyone should go at least once. Very old school to say the least! Mostly cattle, hogs, goats, horses. Worth going just to see all the interesting characters - salt of the earth. The parking lot has people selling ducks, dogs, cats, quail, home grown veggies and chickens off the back of pu trucks. It's been five years since I've been but I remember a couple of hogs going for $20. Goats are big sellers especially around Ramadan or some Muslim holiday. I sold my kids pet goats - mom and two little ones for $60. North side of 31 closer to Brewton than Flomaton. I highly recommend going (at least once)

·
Registered
267 Posts
It's right behind Southern Pine (REA) if you are going north on 31. Not able to be seen from the road. Probably a mile to a mile and a half past the paper mill. Try'n Hard is correct very "salt of the earth" characters will be on site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts