1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<h1 class="product_group_title">Rubbermaid Big Wheel Utility Cart - Model 5642
</h1>

Rubbermaid Big Wheel Utility Cart Black

Does anyone have a wheel lying around for one of these they don't need? Or perhaps your cart has a broken wheel and you just want to get rid of the whole thing. Wheels are almost impossible to find, and I have already tried various solutions including 20" bicycle rims but no luck. The wheel (20") needed must fit a 5/8" dia. axle and have an inside to outside hub width of 2 1/4".

Thanks...

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<span id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl01_lblFullMessage">
BIGRIGZ,

The wheel (20") needed must fit a <span style="font-weight: bold;">5/8" dia. axle and have a <span id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl01_lblFullMessage">hub no wider than 2 1/4" measured from <span id="ctl00_ctlContentPlaceHolder_ctl00_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater_ctl01_lblFullMessage">inside to outside. It takes a standard 20" bicycle tire and tube, but something about 16" - 18" may work. Anything smaller and the rear of the cart will drag when you move it and try to keep it fairly level.

Smokin98600,

I have checked the Lowe's and HD at Mobile Hwy and Fairfield Dr. , and they didn't carry them, but I'll check the other stores too.

Apparently, the wheels are not made by Rubbermaid, but by a third party. I read numerous reviews while searching for wheels online and everybody had the same complaint...the body is almost indestructible but he wheels are crap.

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
5,012 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
johnsonbeachbum (08/05/2010)It is the 2.25" hub that is killin ya ain't it?

<a href="http://www.gemplers.com/cart-tires">http://www.gemplers.com/cart-tires</a>

If you can install a longer axle you would have a lot of choices.

Cart Wheels

Yep, you guessed it! This solid wheel would be perfect if I lengthened the axle. I don't know why Rubbermaid felt they needed to put a pneumatic wheel on a yard cart anyway. Personally, I don't care if my dirt, leaves, or whatever is in the cart has a comfortable ride or not. ;)

At first I was looking for the cheapest way to replace the busted wheel, but considering the cart is in excellent condition (other than the wheels) and the new ones are $250.00 - $350.00, it might be worth spending the extra money for the solid wheels and a longer axle and having a bullet proof cart.

Thanks for the site...lots of good stuff on here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts