Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Wanted -- Oyster shucker, other than a knife.

6K views 50 replies 17 participants last post by  choppedliver 
#1 ·
Looking for an unused, under utilized oyster shucker (not a human). Let me know if you have one sitting around doing nothing. It would be niceat some of my family's get togethers taking some of the risk of injury out of the equation. Yes, I am looking to buy one. Thanks

#6 ·
I will try to get some pictures of the one that my mom has and post them. I know that won't help you much, but it might give someone a good template to make some. She has had this one forabout 25 years and it will dang sure shuck'em! I will try to post pics tomorrow evening.

#8 ·
using a knife is not that dangerous once you aquire the technique, shucking oysters doesn't require brute force. it's much easier to do using a light amount of pressure,with the knife tip in the right spot, and a slight twitching back and forth.

You can also stand the oyster on it's edge and open it with the knife tip pointed away from your hand

A good shucking knife with the tip honed down, and use finesse, a perfect tip and a light wiggle will do it......

IMO those mechanical shuckers are a royal PITA, and a stainless mesh glove cost less than most mechanical shuckers, for the piece of mind you can get a glove

My .02 cents, and we only shuck 400 gallons a day

#10 ·
<TABLE summary="craigslist hosted images"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>
</TD><TD align=middle>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Here's the picture of the stainless steel one listed on Craigslist. They want $150 for it.

Maybe choppedliver on here could make one out of aluminum for much less. The tooth/knife would have to be stainless to keep its edge, but everything else could be aluminum. I'd be interested in what choppedliver thinks.

#11 ·
Nat (2/22/2010)using a knife is not that dangerous once you aquire the technique, shucking oysters doesn't require brute force. it's much easier to do using a light amount of pressure,with the knife tip in the right spot, and a slight twitching back and forth.

You can also stand the oyster on it's edge and open it with the knife tip pointed away from your hand

A good shucking knife with the tip honed down, and use finesse, a perfect tip and a light wiggle will do it......

IMO those mechanical shuckers are a royal PITA, and a stainless mesh glove cost less than most mechanical shuckers, for the piece of mind you can get a glove

My .02 cents, and we only shuck 400 gallons a day
X2!

Except I don't do 400 gal/day... I do like a blade w/ an up-turned tip...The only drawback to them is that the blades are then too short for big (I mean big) oysters when you go to cut the connective muscle...

#12 ·
FishinFool (2/23/2010)<TABLE summary="craigslist hosted images"><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle>
</TD><TD align=middle>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Here's the picture of the stainless steel one listed on Craigslist. They want $150 for it.

Maybe choppedliver on here could make one out of aluminum for much less. The tooth/knife would have to be stainless to keep its edge, but everything else could be aluminum. I'd be interested in what choppedliver thinks.

Hows it work? Does it crush the shell or do you put the oyster on its edge and it wedges it open? Looks like it would be easy enough to make

#20 ·
Snap (3/1/2010)Choppedliver -- with the confidence you expressed I bet you could build a good shucker. What do you think, Up to the challenge?

Yep, Im up for it as I understand how it works... No one really addressed that. Does it just pry the shell open? Or does it remove the meat too? I personally dont like oysters so I have not shucked them before.

#21 ·
The chisel point will be forced into the joint with the shell on edge, most likely long ways. The one in the picture has a wide point which would also start the shell prying apart where as many other shuckers will have a more narrow edge knife like deal. Think I like the wide point better which looks more durable. A search of the net will net several different designs/options. Your the builder, what do you think. Do you need an oyster or severalto fully evaluate the project?Oysters goparticularly well with adult beverages.

Yes, the chisel type point would only start the prying apart of the shell. There are designs that you use the blade to also cut the muscle from the shell.

#22 ·
Snap (3/1/2010)The chisel point will be forced into the joint with the shell on edge, most likely long ways. The one in the picture has a wide point which would also start the shell prying apart where as many other shuckers will have a more narrow edge knife like deal. Think I like the wide point better which looks more durable. A search of the net will net several different designs/options. Your the builder, what do you think. Do you need an oyster or severalto fully evaluate the project?Oysters goparticularly well with adult beverages.

Yes, the chisel type point would only start the prying apart of the shell. There are designs that you use the blade to also cut the muscle from the shell.

Well seems to me the main thing is you want to quickly get that shell open. Getting the booger/snot out of the shell is the easy part right? :)

I might need to have an adult beverage while I watch you opening a few of those slimy suckerslol

#23 ·
We have two that are mounted to a table. The downside to the shucker is that it can crush the shell and put little peices of shell in the oyster and we all know that sucks. We basicly use our's now just to "break the seal" then use the knife to finish the job. Ill post pictures as soon as I can.

#24 ·
I am going to try and have a "prototype" done today.

What do you think about this... for the base where the oyster goes, a piece of "L" shapped aluminum turned at an angle so that it is a "V" shape directly under the blade so that the oyster is basically self centering... put it in the v and it will pretty much be lined up ... good idea? Flat surface is better?

#25 ·
Yes, the purpose is to pop the seal. This is the hard part that can send folks to the emergency room for stitches. Time consuming if you don't do it on a regular basis. You would pop a bunch of them then take an oyster knife to sever the snot from the upper shell, discard, then sever the lower muscle and leave snot in the shell for presentation.

The V sounds like an excellent idea but should not have more than say, 1/4 to 1/2" heigthon the Vso clusters or odd shaped shells can be delt with. Some shells are sharp edged while others may be rounded and fat.

This is getting interesting. Adult beverages during initiation would be a must. :hoppingmad

Snap

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.