Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for a big propane tank to make into a smoker. If anybody has one they need removed PM me and I can come get it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I think that you mean a 250 gallon fuel oil tank ?.
That is what most people around here use anyway.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is about the size, could go bigger or smaller. There are not many fuel oil heaters around here though.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I have even seen where guys use Metal 55 gallon drums, one guy welded 2 together to make a bigger smoker. just a thought.

Kevin

·
Registered
538 Posts
YA

Kevin, he means a propane tank. Fueloil tanks don't really exist around here and the ones that do are mostly around 60 gallons.

Ya, I forget that you guys down there think it is cold if it drops below 60 :D.
Where I live up here we have so much rural areas, it is either fuel oil or propane for home heating, we only have natural gas if you live in a town.
If I had room, i would bring him one down, when i come at the end of February, but with pulling the boat boat down, i wouldn't have any place to put one.

Kevin

·
Registered
586 Posts
Curious as to how you would safely cut it. Used to know a guy that was cutting a drum and blew himself up.

Know it can be cut without incident, just haven't actually heard from someone with experience.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Have you tried the bulk propane dealers i.e. Blossman's and Amerigas?
I know Amerigas on Pace near Mobile Hwy has a yard with what looks like retired tanks of all sizes.
I suspect they are either there waiting to be scrapped or re-certified.
Maybe they ave a big one that is to be scrapped.
Probably have to pay scrap price tho.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts

·
Registered
6,834 Posts
fill it with water

Curious as to how you would safely cut it. Used to know a guy that was cutting a drum and blew himself up.

Know it can be cut without incident, just haven't actually heard from someone with experience.
That's what my dad used to do

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Amerigas on pace blvd has a bunch of them but none are purged and safe to sell. I have been calling them on and off for about a year and it seems they always have one reason or another that they cant get some ready for sale. The price they told me was not even scrap price so I don't blame them for not being in a hurry to get some ready. Thanks beachbum, I will check into the one on clist. I was just hoping someone on here needed one removed.

·
Registered
14,407 Posts

I have never seen one of these cut, but when cutting a 55 gallon drum, fill it with water.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
If you find one, look into making it a reverse flow smoker. They control the heat a lot better..just google reverse flow...lot less hot spots that way

·
Registered
5,012 Posts

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,253 Posts

Fill it with water, or use a cut off saw to cut a hole before using a torch.

I've cut up 20-30 of them for artificial reefs. The first one I tried burning out with a wood fire. Shot it full of holes, then started to cut it with a torch. Everything went fine until I hit the oxygen. :whistling: Every hole instantly had a 6" flame shooting out. Scared the crap out of me.:yes: Only lasted a few seconds, then it was over.
After that, I used my demo saw and cut a hole before torching.

Sea-r-cy

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Full it with water unless you have access to a tank of argon or co2. When we used to work on tanks, we would put an argon tank hose into the tank and turn it on filling it with the inert gas.

·
Duerwood Willis
1,748 Posts
Myself, Mullet hunter, and jighunter have been working on one the last few weeks. It started as a 250 gallon propane tank and 60' of 4" c channel. We filled it full of soapy water for a couple days to help remove the oil residue. I will be honesty up front, I would rather be anywhere in this world then have to make the first cut. I know when Cassady reads this he isn't going to hesitate to let everyone know that I found an excuse to go in the house while he cut the first hole.

Concrete mixer Product Tire Automotive tire Pipe

Fuel tank Product Transport Storage tank Gas

1 - 20 of 21 Posts