Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to repower by Boston Whaler 260 Conquest. Have twin 200 Optimax's with about 350 hours each. They are 2001 models..

Would like to explore repowering over the winter months this year and wanted opinions on motors. 2 stroke vs 4 stroke. Yamaha vs Merc . The boat is a 2001 model.

I have heard some negative comments about the optimax motors and just had to put it in the shop for what i hope to be a minor repair. Figured I ought to go ahead and do some research on repowering just in case....

Any thoughts, comments, appreciated.

Brad

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I am a BIG fan of Yamaha. Don't know enoudh to make suggestion about power for you but I believe it's the best motor for the money. I would go 4 stroke in a heart beat. A lot more money but much more fuel efficient. Emerald Coast has a great reputation and many friends like Posner's in Pensacola. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I believe yammmy just came out with some 4 strokes that shed a huge amount of weight... but think it was just the 300's... Kenny Mann was telling me about it. I hear this conversation come alot, and its always :

"2 strokes are noiser, dirtier, use expensive oil, but are lighter, more torque, and less maintenance."

and then

"4 strokes are are quiet, heavy, more parts, more maintenance, less torque, no expensive oil mixing"

The new yammys seem to cut the weight down, but like I said, not sure about the 200 - 250 range. Think its the big 300's

I know if I were buying today, I would love to have a 4 stroke.

·
Super Moderator
20,451 Posts
choppedliver (25/05/2010)I believe yammmy just came out with some 4 strokes that shed a huge amount of weight... but think it was just the 300's... Kenny Mann was telling me about it. I hear this conversation come alot, and its always :

"2 strokes are noiser, dirtier, use expensive oil, but are lighter, more torque, and less maintenance."

and then

"4 strokes are are quiet, heavy, more parts, more maintenance, less torque, no expensive oil mixing"

The new yammys seem to cut the weight down, but like I said, not sure about the 200 - 250 range. Think its the big 300's

I know if I were buying today, I would love to have a 4 stroke.
Yamaha VMax SHO 4Stroke 200, 225 and 250 Weights less than 2 strokes and get better fuel economy. These are bad jokers. But think they are only short shaft. 20" I believe

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
Way to much information to post, if you call me I would be glad to talk to you about what is available and the pros and cons of each. as much time as you need to make a decision, also I dont think anyone local can beat my prices on engines..

weather you buy and engine from me or not,, i am applying for the job as your Authorized Yamaha service center. Please give me the opportunity to earn your business. :cool:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm just curious as to why the refreshing of motors. I saw 350 hours and surely that can't be the reason. Is it a reliability issue?

·
Registered
4,275 Posts
shipsmate (26/05/2010)I'm just curious as to why the refreshing of motors. I saw 350 hours and surely that can't be the reason. Is it a reliability issue?
My guess would be that they are 10 years old. or maybe just wants to get out of the merc....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Well,

I don't know too much, but this is what I do know for sure. If you are going to repower, go with a yamaha,I have one that is a 1992 2 stroke, and it runs strong, never had a new powerhead, and it is in Kenny's shop right now with what I hope to be is minor repairs. It has never been run in freshwater, only a salty, and probably has around 1500 hours or more. If I were to repower, I would go for the yamaha 4 stroke, a bit bigger than what I got now to make up the what I tell my wife for an excuse to go bigger "power differential". Kenny is a great man to deal with in this area, and he will fix you up proper.!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Recently repowered.Went from a 250 HPDI to a 250 4 stroke on the same boat. 4 MPH better at top end, 15% + better fuel economy, and the difference between the cost of oil for the HPDI and the maintaince cost on the 4 stroke was sinificantly higher. Best decision I've made recently.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just had a little issue with an "injector fault" and it kinda scared us. The motors are strong and have run fine except for that one issue. This boat is new to us and we have only had it in the water a few times. When we bouht it, we heard several horror stories about the optimax motors and I guess I am just a little gun shy. We got a good enough deal on the boat so that even if we repower, we still have a boat worth what we have in it.

It is probably wasteful to repower right now, but I didn't know if there was any trade in value in those low hour motors or not. Just figured we needed to start our research now so that if something did happen to them we wouldn't have to waste time researching then. I don't get enough time to fish as it is!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Kenny..... you will definitely get a shot at it! Not sure when or even if we will do anything on the motors but we will see. I promised myself that if i was going to invest in a used boat that i wasn't going to have one that I didn't trust. I had to limp in on one motor last weekend due to an injector fault and realized that even with twins, it would be a long long ride in from the edge on that one motor! I guess that is better than having to be towed in though!!

I have always been a mercury fan, but mostly used them in freshwater. I guess it all boils down to confidence!

I will definitely call you when we get a little closer to doing this! Incidentally, the shop couldn't get the injector to fault again.... ran the boat for over an hour and still no injector fault!

Thanks for all the input........ lots of Yammy fans around here i see!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts