Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,
I live on the Sound in Navarre and got the itch to yak. Got my head twisted watching Youtube; also got my juices flowing.
1st How do I learn? I'm over 60, fit for my age.
2nd How do I start? Which Kayak, and paddle?

I've fished the sound for past 10 yrs., but my boat is broke and repairs will be more than a yak. $'s are short & would like to keep cost at minimum, doesn't everyone? Convenience for me is huge, as all I would have to do is drag it to the water.

Big request I know but could use a nudge in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I think the common advice for this forum is: don't buy a kayak under 12 feet. Stay away from sit-in kayaks, it's a safety hazard with quick developing winds and waves common in this area. Keep a pdf and a communication device with you.

Good starter yaks are: redfish 12/14 ft, Pescador 12, ocean kayak prowler 13. More expensive models are jackson, hobie. There's a lot more out there, you can go to pensacola kayak and sail and try out some 'yaks and see which fits you the best.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I personally don't know any groups out of Navarre, but i've seen some posts on here from folks from Navarre. Maybe some others will chime in.

·
Formerly Hank Hill
839 Posts
Photon, I had a boat till I got my 1st yak. Since sold the boat cause I wasn't using it anymore. I'm close to your age. I started w/ a used yak I got off the forum, then, as many do, upgraded to a Hobie. If I can answer specific questions, shoot me a PM. If you want to try either, Come toward Milton and we can take both yaks out, to see if you're comfortable so close to the water. Either way, enjoy the ride.....

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
The Gulf Coast Kayak Fishing Association is having our 'nearly world famous' rigging clinic at Hot Spots Bait & Tackle in Gulf Breeze tomorrow between 10 and 3. Any question you may have can be answered there and more. Worth your time for sure. Several members are active on this forum and most have fished our annual tournament. It's just been announced that Hot Spots is offering free BBQ lunch for the event, so all the more reason to go if you're able to.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Photon - I will look forward to talking to you tomorrow at Hot Spots Bait & Tackle in GB. As Blackjeep says, the GCKFA is holding their "nearly world-famous" Rigging Clinic there from 10 to 3. There will be a bunch of kayaks there to ogle, kayak fishermen to ask questions of and chat with and some seminars on how to do some common yakfishing things. There will not be a better time to get into the sport. See you tomorrow.

·
Neptune calls me "Daddy"
9,091 Posts
I would rent a Kayak from one of the outfitters on a nice day.... They probably give lessons too. Don't even try to fish, just putter around upwind downwind, capsize on purpose in 4 ' of water and learn how to re-enter the kayak, etc.

You'll know it it is for you without spending a lot of $$$.

Jim

·
Registered
293 Posts
Navarre area too

Im in Navarre too. I just bought a kayak and have not hade a chance to take it out yet. I will be going to the sale tomorrow. I actually live in Holly by the sea area. Shoot me a pm some time.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Photon....I just bought a used Ride 135 for my first yak at age 65. I have spent many hours in canoes in years past. I don't like the weight but I think it will be stable and decent to paddle and fish from. Just got it 2 days ago and not had it in the water yet. Pretty cold up here in TN and not a good time of the year to get wet so it will be a little while before I paddle it.

·
The Yakslayer
590 Posts
Ride 135 is a good yak if you're paddling versus pedaling. They're not made for standing in, but the Ride is easier to stand in than my Hobie Outback.

·
Registered
198 Posts
BlackJeep....thanks for the reply. Being such an old fart I am not sure how much stand-up I would do anyway though I would have thought that stand-up would be normal in such a wide yak. Just my ignorance I guess.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts