Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up this lil booger last night in the river. He spanked 2 grown men for an hour before we finally had him subdued. 10' 9"

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Very nice gator. Did ya'll snatch him, shoot him with a bow, or ??? to get a line on him? I bet that was an adrenalin rush!!!! Nice job.

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Nice. If my buddy dosent close escrow tonight, I am back on for this Saturday. We struck out last Saturday (Lake Eufallua) Any tips appreciated. We just didnt see any of any size.

When you snatched him, did you throw in front of him or right on top?

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Corpsman (8/26/2009)Nice. If my buddy dosent close escrow tonight, I am back on for this Saturday. We struck out last Saturday (Lake Eufallua) Any tips appreciated. We just didnt see any of any size.

These gators that we have been hunting have been extremely weary. Cast beyond him 20 yards or so if he is in open water and reel the hook up to him. You'll feel it when it bumps. he'll probably jump too; snatch it hard and hold tight. the hooks dont bury in too far, so try and not let slack in the line. If he is tight to cover, you can just plop it on him as best you can. this one diddnt look this big when we first saw his eyes. There is alot of body they can hide under water. Look for seperation of eyes and thats the best advice i can give for finding a larger one. Good luck.I hear eufalla is full of them. We got lucky and I hope you do too.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Corpsman (8/26/2009)Nice. If my buddy dosent close escrow tonight, I am back on for this Saturday. We struck out last Saturday (Lake Eufallua) Any tips appreciated. We just didnt see any of any size.

shine em then cast past them reel fast up to them and when you hit it, snatch the mess out of it. the hook, like already said will not bury deep, if bury at all. then they will probably roll and tie themselves up. then they will suck to the bottom. get another rod with a hook and drop it down to help pull it up. ( we killed one the first night this way but the second night took a pier gaff and dropped it down and snatched it and it helped pull it up. when it got close we harpooned him and hung on. wow. what a rush and then BOOMMMM in the head.

·
Registered
5,474 Posts
Congratulations John. Nicely done. Gator tail and steak. Would that be considered "Swamp and Turf"? :hungry

·
Registered
812 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Grassflatsfisher (8/26/2009)Wow...good one!

We have been bow hunting and harpooning them the last few years. With the snatch hook what size hook are you using?
they are 10/0 trebles with about 4oz or so of lead molded in. half hitch has some that i saw. i imaging some of the other bait shops do too.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Got a small gator[6'9"] @ Eufaula Sat night,if you don't have one yet,goN of the lake to Hatchechubbie Creek,a 12'4" gator was taken the first night of hunt,several more were seen.Igot mine @ Old Town Creek Park.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts