Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just gotten into bluewater fishing the last two years and I am curious how late into the winter everybody will fish around the Nipple, edge, 131 hole I know bottom dwellers are there year round but what about pelagics? THanks

·
Super Moderator
5,904 Posts
Got our last blue last year the week of Thanksgiving...

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
I get the Bill Fish, Wahoo and Dolphin in the nipple and spur area (even Swords), but what about Tuna. Do people catch yellowfin or blackfin there? Trolling or chunking? I am gathering the yellowfin bite is more a rig trip and the blackfin is more reliable at the edge or the rigs. Am I wrong?

4,058 Posts
Billable (10/16/2007)I get the Bill Fish, Wahoo and Dolphin in the nipple and spur area (even Swords), but what about Tuna. Do people catch yellowfin or blackfin there? Trolling or chunking? I am gathering the yellowfin bite is more a rig trip and the blackfin is more reliable at the edge or the rigs. Am I wrong?
Tuna are definately more reliable at the rigs. Blackfin can hardly be called a tuna though, unless you're using light tackle. Plus, when you finally catch a decent yellowfin, you'll never intentionally mess with a little ol blackfin ever again.

4,058 Posts
PLENTY of yellerfin to go around once everyone else disappears into the woods for deeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer season. just get up with the right people if your boat doesnt have the range (aka PM me)

·
Registered
310 Posts
Blackfin are good eating providing you eat them fresh.. like any tuna,if youovercook it, it WILL get fishy.. sear it rare or at least medium rare. Hell if bled properly and iced well most would not be able to tell the difference between the two except for the size of the steak. And I have caught many a yellowfin and there is obviouslyt no comparison as far as the fight but on spinning tackle blackfin are a blast!

·
Registered
355 Posts
gator7_5 (10/23/2007)taste wise..

YF>SKIPJACK>BF
If cooked, I'd be willin to bet $'s that 90-95% of folks wouldn't know the difference. I've eaten both and cooked both and I'lleat any of them. For sashimi I tend to lean toward yellowfin but just like the grouper/catfish controversy I bet there are a few establishments that will serve blackfin sashimi and the general public goes on oblivious to the fact. Heck last time I cleaned blackfin I got kinda hungry and started snackin right there at the cleanin table. Thought it was pretty good.

JMHO.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts