Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I learned togig Flounder wading with my dad from the time I was old enough to tag along. I was always told that the Flounder would spook on a Full Moon. I have always accepted this to be true and never tested the theory, if the moon was full or near full we just didn't go. Anybody here ever go on a full moon, and if so have you been successful?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
First off I'd like to say thanks for all the input. I decided to give it a try last night and headed down to Gulf Shores to wade the Gulf side. I went 0 for 6. 4 scooted off before I was close enough to even try to get a shot. Stepped on 1 and missed 1. I got down there right after low tide with clear calm water and and walked about 15 minutes before seeing the first one. They definitely seemed more skiddish, I'm not sure if it was b/c of the moon or if they were just moving in with the start of the incoming tide. If I get a chance I'm going to give it another try while the moon is full or close to full to see if I have any better results.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Do you think it could have anything to do with the fact that you are walking? Maybe the vibrations from your footsteps are alerting them to your presence. This would not be present if gigging out of a boat so maybe that is the difference.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
No....but if you step on one they are gonna scoot. With the boat you can run them down sometimes.

You pretty much had happen what I had said. Now a Trolling motor right over one will spook it too.

At any rate...were going tonight. :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think walking versus in a boat is a big factor. Not because of the vibrations but due to the proximity you have to be in to see 'em andget close enough to successfully gig one. I've had good success wading on the Gulf side, 0 for 6 is a really bad night. I've spooked some before and watched them go and settle back on the bottom to take a second shot, but last night when they took off all I saw was a cloud of sand. Good Luck x-shark hope to see some pictures of the carnage.

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
We had 2 good ones spook on us. We did manage 3 Flounder, 1 Sheephead and a Big Jarhead Mullet.

The booms in the water all over the place are a REAL <span style="text-decoration: underline;">deterrent. They are blocking a LOT of our fishing grounds. :(

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
We took the old boat. The new one is not finished yet. This was a Big'-Ole Jarhead Mullet

New forum has me doing all kinds of weird things that I use top be able to do with pix's and writing. Not so anymore. :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts