Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys we are here in Perdido, and in addition to surf fishing, we would like to hit Big Lagoon and work on catching some inshore. Any suggestions on locations to fish from? We bought our 7 day pass to Johnson's yesterday, and were hoping there might be some fishing that is worthwhile in there. I have spoons, topwaters, doas, gulps, cajun thunders, etc, and could do live bait setups if necessary. Any helpful hints or ideas would be greatly appreciated. It is killing me to keep looking out at this surf and know that I cannot fish it yet! i'll bet I get a line wet this evening just for the hell of it :)

·
Registered
778 Posts
There are some great grass flats towards the pass. It will take some hiking so take some water and something to eat in a small cooler. Drive as far as you can and cross over to the intercoastal side and walk east towards the pass. The grass flats will start at about two miles and continue on to the pass. You should be protected from the SE winds on the intercoastal side. Try to fish the potholes that are in the grass flats. Just put a gold spoon around these sand potholes and you should come up with something. With the tides being so high wading might be a little tough. The redfish will probably be right along the sawgrass so don't worry about wading out and throwing as far as you can. In a lot of places you should be able to catch the reds standing on the sand and casting gold spoons and topwaters pretty much parallel to the bank. If you make it close to the pass where the no motorized zone cove is you should be in redfish heaven. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
You can catch some nice fish off the boat dock in Big Lagoon. Use some live bait and also work some grubs across the bottom and you may catch some nice flounder. Me and my dad used to fish there alot back in the day and Im just now getting back into it. I was there Sunday morning and caught a few nice flounder on swirl tail grubs.

·
Registered
573 Posts
There are some nice flats right there by the gate going into the park . Go down the walkway to the water and head a little west and thereare some nice fishing spots there. Also not to far down past the entrance are some other grass flats that has a very deep drop off so be careful. Thisarea will hold some nice specks & red fish . Looking around that part yesterday & saw plenty of spring mullet . Big enough to eat so bring a rather large bait net and might be able to catch a few. I was using some smaller mullet for bait yesterdayon a spot there in theinter coastaland hung into some things that I could not hold with some ultra lights. Was broke off 4 times and I mean slammed . I would definitely try some live bait small mullet,pin fish and some bull minnows. Live shrimp would be good but early in the morning or the pin fish will eat them up.

Fishing the Gulf Side make sure to look for a break in the bars or find some eddies and fish the deeper parts

Good Luck

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks so much for your replies! We hit it this am, but not until almost 10am. No catches, just one big break off on a gold johnson spoon. Maybe we'll hit it again this evening, but definitely are shooting for an earlier morning rendezvous w/some fishies...I saw some guys launching out in some yaks, and it made me very envious. I only have 4 more days down here, and hope to hook into some goodies soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts