Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive got a zodiac hurricane with a volvo penta DP-E outdrive, only after its warmed up from use at idle ONLY in forward do I get what sounds like a bad bearing. Does not occur in reverse and takes about a second for it to start after being put into gear. Possibly making noise underway but the exhaust is so damn loud on my boat that its hard to tell.

Any ideas? I changed the outdrive oil with new, the old had no water intrusion but it was basically black, with the usual shavings on the magnetic drain plug.

·
Center Mass at 300m
2,168 Posts
Gimbal bearing?
Check for a change in sound when turning the wheel L to R and in gear. Kinda stick your head near/in the engine area while underway. If it is, its an easy fix (at least for the Mercruisers).

Sure hope its something simple.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Shouldn't a gimble bearing be in neutral too. Also it does not seem to be effected by trim level.

·
Center Mass at 300m
2,168 Posts
yep, you'd hear it whine in neutral for sure but probably not so much while the drive is straight.

Another trouble shoot idea, fire it up, leave in neutral and turn the wheel either direction.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nothing when turning either. Yeah, kind of weird. This is my first duoprop setup so I probably need to study a diagram of the lower unit bearings. But it does sound high up as if its coming from the gimble bearing but damn. Exspensive guess lol.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, same. Im thinking of getting someone to drive while I probe with a mechanics stethoscope. Super weird that it only happens after cruising for a while/fully warmed up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts