Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have the main power wire going to a 4 way distribution thing that has the glass fuses.It distributes power to the radio,stereo, and halogen deck lights(one in the front one for the back).

Problem: When I flip the switch for to turn on the deck lights the voltage drops to 8v's for the entire boat. Havent tested at the battery yet but the even boat battery teleflex gauge reads 8 volts. as soon as the switch is off back up to 12 v. with the motor running it doesnt give me as much as a problem. this happens with the motor off.

Questions:
If the 8v's stop at one side(power side)of the glass fuses and doesnt pass through the fuse, what could that mean?
is this a ground problem? or could it be to small of a gauge wire for the lights?

Registered
Switch to LED lights. The halogens are drawing too much power when you turn them on.

Registered
With out testing,or knowing what size wire you are using,its hard to say. I'd start with connections and grounds.Has this been a problem or has it just started? If its a new problem, it might be something going on with the lights themselves.

OCD Reel Service/Repair
We would need the amp draw of the halogen lights and the distance from the lights to the power source. If I had that I can tell you the wire size. Also give me the total amps of all of your 12v accessories and I can see if the wire feeding the fuse block is adequate.

Has it always done this when you added the halogen lights?

Praedator
Does your motor have a main harness/plug. I ask because I had an issue one time where my voltage for everything was dropping. I cleaned the main plug/harness on the motor and everything jumped back up to 12V while off and 13.5V+ while running after cleaning that plug/harness.

OCD Reel Service/Repair
Also you shouldn't have any power to the voltage gauge with the key in the off position. If you do the volt meter will always be drawing power from the battery with the battery switch on if you have one. I bet your wiring from the battery to the fuse box is too small and the wiring to the lights is too small.

Do you have a fuse in the wire from the battery to the fuse box?

The engine wiring and the boats wiring should be completely seperate from each other. The only thing that happens when the engine is running is that it charges the battery.

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
theres a switch that turns off the ttop box that powers the radio stereo and lights. The power wire to the lights is very small I wanna say like a 16 gauge, I was surprised by that but wouldnt that draw to little power?

OCD Reel Service/Repair
Yes it is probably too small but can you find out the amp draw on the lights and the lenght of the 16 AWG wire..?? That will tell for sure.

Measure the lenght and double that measurement. That's what we need. You will also need to change the ground wire if it's #16.

You will have to change the wiring all the way from the battery to the switch and out to the T-Top. If it's all #16.

OCD Reel Service/Repair
The switch is also most likely only rated to 15 amps maximum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts