Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be staying in Perdido Key for a couple weeks in Feb and bringing my kayak. Have fished the TX coastal flats a lot for Reds & Specs. Not looking for anyone to share their best spots but would appreciate any general direction on places to put in and areas to fish. Would be happy to share the same info in TX if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Probably get this moved to the kayak section. There's usually people looking to go out with some planning. I'm a good ways east and can't speak to the fishing in that area, but most of reds over my way tend to be holding in deeper water away from the flats lately.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yea... hope you have a very dry yak and layer up. Try launching from either the Nature Trail on Johnson's Beach (grass flats), the public pier in Grand Lagoon (docks and scattered grass), or Gonzales Boat Ramp (near some islands with shallows). Be careful at Gonzales, the tide gets ripping through there sometimes. Boat traffic shouldn't be an issue in Feb. Also, you may want to drop some live bait under the Theo Barrs bridge... colder water could produce a grouper or two. Got a few small ones this summer... real small, but sometimes keepers come shallow when the temp drops.

Good luck, hope you enjoy your stay. Keep us posted on your trip

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses and advice. I didn't see the kayak section. Will re-post there.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I do not fish that area. I'm in Navarre. But you will have more luck fishing bayous in the winter. Mud bottoms warm quicker and hold heat better. Find the deeper holes and channels and start there. If you get a bite, fish the area well. The trout tend to school this time of year. Fish a topwater at normal speed or a suspending jerk bait or soft plastic fished very slowly. Live shrimp can also work well this time of year since the trash fish are scarce.
Good luck.
Fisherdad1

·
Registered
184 Posts
Big lagoon-Johnsons Beach, Ono Island, Little Lagoon. Lots of launch sites, get one of the apps or look online. For Big Lagoon use the canoe launch at the Gulf Shores Park or on River Road. You will be on state line so make sure of your license. Learn your slots for each state. In AL if you want to fish in the rivers Fish and Magnolia River are close and usually hold lots of fish this time of year. Wolf Bay is also a good bet. When you get down check with Chris V at Sam's Stop and Shop in Orange Beach on Canal Road and J&M Marine for local advice on what is working now.

·
Master of Disaster
3,042 Posts
Here is a link to a Google map we made of local boat and kayak launch sites.
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?...-87.787173&spn=0.706742,1.234589&source=embed
Also, run up to Sams Stop n Shop on canal rd (also on the map) and see Chris- he'll be able to fill you in in what might be biting and where to catch them and on what bait.
Yea- bring something to keep you warm and dry. Personally, I don't usually put the boat in the water in Jan or Feb unless we are experiencing mild conditions.
Anyway, hope the info is helpful, and good luck!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts