Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have never fished in salt water. We are going to be on vacation in October, and staying in Mary Esther. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am bring my boat.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
I have never fished in salt water. We are going to be on vacation in October, and staying in Mary Esther. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. I am bring my boat.
I don't know anything about the Ft. Walton / Destin area, but October is generally a good time for fishing. Topwater walkers and flukes in the shallow areas where you see bait or mullet can yield reds and trout, jig heads with paddle tail swimbaits hopped along the bottom can yield reds, trout, and if worked slowly around current and structure / holes in grass flats flounder as well that time of year.

Keep your eyes peeled for birds working an area and/or a huge gaggle of boats gathered in an area, might see a school of bull reds come up - great fun if you can get something in front of them without spooking them, they're usually in a chomping mood when that happens.

I don't know about offshore but hopefully others will chime in. Good luck, hope you have fun!

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
There is a bowl of deep water right outside Baytown Wharf Marina in Chocktahachee?. Bay. Free line a small livemenhaden or croaker. Shrimp on a popping cork or cast a paddle tail on a jig. Top water early in the morning. Look at the spot on Google earth. Lotsa specks there. Run the bouys and crab pots. Cast a shrimp on them Triple tail can be found on the crab buoys, any flotsam or even channel markers. If fishing an artificial, remember. Saltwater fish are aggressive work your bait accordingly. For the livies I like a 3/0 Kahle hook. If your fishing a shrimp on a popping cork put a split shot about 8” up the line or so from the hook.
Good luck
Bridge piling should fish as well.

Oh and don’t go blasting in on a fishing spot inshore. Sneak up on it. Or you’ll scare everything off. Especially trout and reds..

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
There is a bowl of deep water right outside Baytown Wharf Marina in Chocktahachee?. Bay. Free line a small livemenhaden or croaker. Shrimp on a popping cork or cast a paddle tail on a jig. Top water early in the morning. Look at the spot on Google earth. Lotsa specks there. Run the bouys and crab pots. Cast a shrimp on them Triple tail can be found on the crab buoys, any flotsam or even channel markers. If fishing an artificial, remember. Saltwater fish are aggressive work your bait accordingly. For the livies I like a 3/0 Kahle hook. If your fishing a shrimp on a popping cork put a split shot about 8” up the line or so from the hook.
Good luck
Bridge piling should fish as well.

Oh and don’t go blasting in on a fishing spot inshore. Sneak up on it. Or you’ll scare everything off. Especially trout and reds..
respect other fishermen

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the information. We will definitely respect others! Hopefully we will meet some good people. Maybe even get some pointers. I live in Western Kentucky, no salt water here! All we have are deer and turkeys.

·
Registered
13,110 Posts
Thanks for the information. We will definitely respect others! Hopefully we will meet some good people. Maybe even get some pointers. I live in Western Kentucky, no salt water here! All we have are deer and turkeys.
I'll bet if you offered an exchange-fishing for deer- you'd have some takers.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Wash down your boat and tackle with fresh water and flush your engine. Watch our coming up on flats. Water will change from 6 feet to 2 feet like....boom. that was your engine hitting bottom

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
also:
don't fish with any of these guys on this forum.:whistling:

jack

Reactions: Flounderpounder

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Excellent time of year to fish. Reds and Trout will be hungry and the cooler weather turns on the bite! Bull Reds will be in full swing.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Not bad, except some East wind. Your bad luck to have a Tropical Storm taking aim for mid week. :whistling:

·
Registered
4,904 Posts
Enjoy while you can. The surf will likely get rough with this storm approaching. You do need a saltwater fishing license unless you go out on a charter boat or fish from a pier that you pay to fish on.

·
Great White Buffalo
80 Posts
October is a great time for fishing. Good choice. Now put some bait in the water!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts