Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

Video Goliaths on the Mass

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Yellow River Cat 
#1 ·
This was shared on one of the Facebook fishing groups this morning. I know one was caught and released last weekend. I have always heard rumors but had never seen real evidence until now.

#7 ·
Jewfish and bears, they're FWC's sacred cows. Probably millions of them in state waters but they'll never admit it. Their 200 tag "season" of twenty pounders is like picking up a grain of sand on the beach. From St. Joe to St. Augustine there's not a wreck, tower, big rock, pass or inlet that isn't wrapped up with them.

Reactions: stevenattsu
#13 ·
Those big Jewfish now called Goliath grouper have been on Pensacola wrecks way before I got here in 76. I would occasionally spear a small one in the jetties. Small about 20 lbs. All before any regs on them. Key west and Tampa, Bradenton areas are also loaded with some monster goliath. They are all over.
Never had a problem with them taking lobster or any fish from me. There meat is not very good to eat. The cuban and philipenos love them and figured a way to make them editable.

#14 ·
My father in law had 8mm film he shot back in the 70’s of flounder laying on and a Goliath swimming in an out of the Mass. I asked him why he didn’t spear the Goliath, he laughed and said he didn’t want to get dragged into the Mass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.