Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In an effort to reduce traffic on VHF channel 16 I have invested in an automated radio check system. The system operates on VHF channel 27. It is very simple to use. Simply turn your radio to channel 27, whatever you transmitt will be repeated back to you. I put this on a tower just east off Navarre, its not very tall so everyone may not be able to use it. But if it gets enough use I will raise it. This is in the early stages and I am still learning the system. Try it out and let me know what you think. Thanks Capt John

www.seatow.com

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I will definitely give it a try tomorrow. I tried last Saturday to do a radio check on Ch. 67 & 68 but got no replies. I was stuck in the middle of the sound near the Ft. Pickins gate.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I'll try it next time I'm out. I usually reply to one or two radio checks to be sure mine is working (usually get that many requests before I leave the dock).

Just a note, thanks to Sea Tow and others for standing by and replying to the other legitimate requests for a check. Thanks for putting up the experimental system.

·
Registered
6,297 Posts
Bump. Is this still in service? Anyone try it?
Yep, tried last month when I put my new ant. on.
Xmit and you will hear a little spill from seatow then your voice is repeated. Pretty cool.

Thanks for setting that up. I think channel 28 or 29 is in mobile if you want to test you distant out on the water.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I've used it from downtown Pcola well out into the Gulf. Works great, eliminates the need to tie up 16, and lets you hear what you actually sound like. Knowing where it is also lets you know how well you are getting out over distance. Thanks, Capt. John, for putting a truly useful service out there. Now, the rest of you, USE IT, and get off 16.
=8^) }}

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This hasn't been working well in Destin so We added a new site in Destin today. It should work a lot better now. Try it out and let me know. Thanks

Capt John Ward
Sea Tow Destin/Pensacola/Orange Beach
850-492-5070

www.seatow.com

·
Registered
652 Posts
I tried from Eglin a few weeks ago and got no answer. I had to use 16

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Capt. John,
I use it every time I leave the harbor, just to be sure the radio is working. Great to be able to hear your actual transmission, rather than just a "loud and clear, skipper". This is a valuable service and good on ya for stepping up and making it available. Should reduce the frustration of the constant 'radio check' calls all day, if folks will just use it. Thanks very much.

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I tried today from Orange beach (Cotton Bayou) and didn't get it , but I have reach it a couple of weeks ago, I'm gonna try from the Pass tomorrow I hope , if this wind will calm a bit .

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We had to take the Orange Beach site down today. I apologize for any inconvenience. I should have it back up by the end of next week. The Dauphin Island site, the Perdido Key site, the Gulf Breeze site, and the Destin site are still up.

Capt John Ward
Sea Tow Destin/Pensacola/Orange Beach
850-492-5070

www.seatow.com

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,242 Posts
John, I tried the system this morning in Destin, it worked GREAT! Thanks for installing such a helpful service. :notworthy: Sea-r-cy

·
Registered
55 Posts
radio check

Used it last weekend in Orange Beach. It worked great. Good to know radio works.

Thanks Seatow for service.

Pleased Seatow Member

1 - 17 of 17 Posts