Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

VHF Antennae

3K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  69Viking 
#1 ·
Had an 8ft, now have a 7ft Shakespeare,

What's the best replacement? Does DSC make a difference?

See less See more
#7 ·
OK Jim, I'll spill it!!!! (Geez your tough!! :hotsun)

Back Gate Guard shack tent......:doh Forgot to put it down leaving Sherman.

Might have been weakend from the first time Ihit it, or the time at the gas station.....:banghead

Just put a big card stock sign in my truck that say's:

DON"T FORGET THE ANTENNA IDIOT!!!!

Hopefully that might help.:letsdrink

#10 ·
Telum Pisces (2/24/2010)Just like a drain plug. There are two types of boaters. Those that have left their drain plug out and those that will.

And there are those that have broken a VHF antenna and those that will.

It happens to all of us at some point in time.

I HAVE NEVER LEFT THE DRAIN PLUG OUT!!!!!!!!!!!! It was Polar21's fault :)

Look on the bright side: I think the antennae is better than your favorite pole, right????

#12 ·
Happened to me and I spliced mine back together with a short piece of fiberglass fishing rod, I cut a old rod close to the base , sized it up, slid it over the broke ant. After I got the rite fit ,I 2 part epoxyThe inside! Works good as new!

#13 ·
#16 ·
#22 ·
My boat is going on 3 years old and looking for Antenna #2 as I type! Glad to see this post and get some good recommendations! Always kept mine at a low angle until I needed it, never had a problem with it hitting things going forward, it just pushed down but when I backed up at the Hurlburt wash rack andhooked it goingagainst the angle it snapped in 3 pieces:doh

Discovered my boat won't sink while underway with the drain plug out! Dropped it in the water at Hurlburt and traveled the 12 miles or so to Destin and pulled up at Crab Island. Jumped out of the boat after anchoring up to enjoy a cool down in the water and I notice both my bilge pumps kept kicking on and pumping out a ton of water:doh Went to the back of the boat and notice plug hanging out, screwed it in and surprise surprise the bilge pumps quit running:doh

I'm going to try the suggested repair here first on the antenna, it's still quite long, just need to splice the tip back on and test it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.