Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The court has now ordered settlement talks between the attorneys and BP on these batch of cases.

The VOO cases will go to mediation talks on February 13 and February 16. What will happen is 6 different cases represented by attorneys will be mediated and an a settlement offer will be put on each of the 6 cases.

The 6 cases are different in nature, example one would be for the "Stand By Pay" and one would be for the "No decontamination of the boat" and so on and so on.

If mediation goes as planed we will get 6 different types of settlements to offer VOO boat owners for their VOO claims against BP.

The funny thing with these BP claims are that BP says that they should be paid by the GCCF but the GCCF says they cannot pay them as they are contractual disputes and has nothing to do with the Oil Pollution Act and the BP claims that they are paying.

Again the settlement date on this should be just around the corner, you have to be represented by an attorney in these talks to be in.

Disclaimer: I am not an attorney just following what is going on to help people on the gulf coast where I live. I am not giving out legal advice.

Best
jacob

· Registered
267 Posts
I've been asking my lawyers this question for 2 1/2 months and still haven't got a straight anwser, so I'll see what you think. If you take a settlement from the GCCF, will that negate your VOO claim? Or effect it in any way?

· Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would say yes, if you settle one claim with the GCCF you have settled all claims under that Social Security # or EIN # (business) in the eyes of the GCCF.

However if the VOO stuff does not go under the GCCF then maybe you could settle with the GCCF and later settle with BP on your VOO stuff.

But I would not recommend in any way taking that chance as nobody knows what would happen. Also I have many people with me that are waiting to settle with the GCCF just because they also have a VOO claim and they do not want to take the chance that a settlement with the GCCF voids their VOO claim.

The risk of BP making a settlement and telling the GCCF to pay out the money in my mind is very big as they have done that with other stuff. When the settlement is done and they get your file back to the GCCF and they see you have already sign not to sue on your EIN # do you trust them to pay you on your VOO claim ??

Just my 2 cents.

I am not an attorney and do not give out legal advice please take my post as my opinion on the matter.

Best
Jacob

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.