Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after 7 long hours of a lot of details I won't go into, (Although I did learn someinterestingthings about computerforecastof oil slick size, andmicro-bacterialoil eating agents), Paul Redman and I where at the meeting with BP's Ed Thomson, Director of Crisis Management, and the Coast Guard in Orange Beach today. By the way, was good to meet you Matt Mcleod and Jake Adams.

Anyways, I am sure there were others who are on this forum who were there also. If you got your "Contract", take note of a couple of things. One, inexhibit"A", paragraph 3. A, notice the second part. After saying fuel would be

"compensated at thecommercialrate per HP/100 x 3 x hrs dispatched x current fuel rate...."

Notice the part next

"...or fraction thereof...Charterers ContractRepresentative(BP), may make adjustments to formula as warranted."

What fraction, 1/2, 3/4?

I don't sign a contract for a certain amount of money that then has a clause saying that I may only get paid a fraction of that amount at there discretion.

I am not saying that maybe this isn't the answer to every captains problems right now, and if you feel it is a good idea I hope the best.

I just find it hard to believe BP will be calling individual captains, and keeping track of your days and writing individual paychecks. Multi billioncorporationsdon't operate that way, even in emergency. They hire prime contractors, let them hire sub contractors, and so forth.

I think this was great press with all the cameras rolling, and the news teams from Atlanta, and everywhere else, and I think maybe 5 of the captains may actually get called so that in another press release when the oil is on our shores, BP can say "we are working with the local fishermen and charterboat captains who have been affected by this, and we are hiring them, and contracting them, to help in this effort, and to give back to them"

But if you were there and you watched Mr. Ed Thompson sign contract after contract, many only half filled out, pagesseparated, etc., and stick it in the box and look the Captain right in the eye and give him a firm handshake and say "Your in the data base now! We may be calling you!", I think that my friends, is what I like to call getting stroked. Makes you feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
Sounds like you don't trust Corporate Lawyers Clay.............................

·
Registered
557 Posts
Clay, thanks for pointing that stuff out. With a contract that long, it's easy to overlook things like that. It was nice to meet you as well and put a face with a name.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Hello Clay. This new format is giving my system fits so not on here much as of yet. Sent you an e-mail and know I can assist. Tight lines, Tom Brewer

1 - 6 of 6 Posts