Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok heres the deal. My wifes family owns a ton of land up in Allentown. The family gave this distant cousin 2 acres of land, plus sold him some more land that he farms. Now he only owns one field of about 20 acres. Now he rents another 120 acres from the family to farm. There is a wooded area of planted pines behind one field that he rents and 10 acres of wooded land(wild) that is off to the side of the other. Both the planted pines and the 10 acres are land that I hunt. I was just notified that he has some type of permit to kill deer on the 20 acres of land because of the damage they are doing to his "winter Wheat", which is bullshit. I heard from a very reliable source that he is hunting these deer at night with a night vision scope. He has killed over 30 deer this year on his 20 acres. Now I understand about the permit and respect that to a certain point, but when he is shooting that many deer, on his land, that are coming out of our land and doing it at night that is what pisses me off. Oh heres the real kicker, he isnt doing anything with the deer, but letting them lie there after he shoots them. He has killed 30 deer in the past few months and let the good meet go to the coyotes, and buzzards. Now I have put a ton of work into this land this year, clearing under brush, putting out feeders, planting over 7 acres in food plots, fertiizing this land, putting lime out limbing up trees and what not. I didnt have a lot of money this year to fish as much as i would have liked because of getting married and buying a house, but had the means and the tools to spend a lot of time back there in the woods working and trying to build a good habbitat for my deer. You know establishing a good management system. Now what pisses me off, is hes not doing anything with the meat, hes hunting at night. To me that shows total disrespect for the animal and the entire reason for hunting. Oh he farms cotton and peanuts on his 20 acres, and puts winter wheat out in the off season. I have never heard of deer digging up peanuts during the summer to eat, or eating cotton blossoms, please correct me if i am wrong here. Now i have seen tons of deer on the feilds after the peanuts were dug, dried and picked and saw them eating the peanut hay bails, but thats it. Please someone help me out here, is there anything that i can do about him hunting at night or just letting the deer just ly there with the FWC. Or is this something i just need to just write off as a waste of time and just let it be. Would it have to be something they would have to catch him doing, or is it legal with this permit to hunt at night. The entire thing just pisses me off beyond belief. I am damn tempted to go down to his house pull him out and whip the ever loving shit outta him. Part of this is just a complete vent and the other part is just asking for information.

·
Super Moderator
28,516 Posts
I can understand your feelings on this subject....BUT the state allows degragation (mis-spelled) permits, 5 at a time if the deer are harvested (put to use) but you can shoot as many as you want as long as you don't lay hands on them...Unless I had several 100's of acres (closer to a 1000) I wouldn't try a management program, or should I say a "strict" management program. On my land i try to tell the kids no bucks unless it's a forked horn but all i ever have seen is spikes...i had a few forks on camera but neighbors probably shoot them....Like it or not deer are a very big nuisance and do a lot of $ damage to crops and vehicles every year, but until this State gets off their rears and enstills some sort of a management program we'll continue to have a weak deer herd...:banghead

As fer eating the crops, they do eat peanuts...correction they devour peanuts and they don't eat cotton bulbs but the newer green leaves when the plants are young and tender... Sorry fer him messing ya up brother!!!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
If he has a nuisance permit, there is nothing you can do. He can kill them anytime and is not permitted to so much as touch the deer. They do destroy cotton and peanuts in early and late stages of growth. I'm sorry but you are probably stuck with him killing all of your deer.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
if he has one of those permits, he can shoot as much as he wants. the catch is that he can't touch them. i know that this sounds sorry but i can tell you that i myself would be out there picking them up. i can't let good meat go bad. and if you are mad now, wait till summer when heis shooting the pregnant does. that will make you mad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Tell him to invite you when he shoots some of the deer. Wait until late summer and get a nice velvet buck for your wall. Just kidding. Sorry but you are screwed. He's very inconsiderate if he knows that you are hunting. How much could he possibly be making on 20 acres.

·
Premium Member
2,689 Posts
you have to shoot them with small calibers so that they'll run out of the fields and die in the woods.....FWC says you have to leave them where they fall. So you don't want them to lay down in the field and die. thats a little trick i learned when i was younger and the farmers werepaying me5 bucks a deer to get rid of them

only thing i can suggest is....when you know he's out there call fwc and tell them that you think someone is deer hunting at night in ??????? area and that you've heard gunshots. If he hasn't called in and told them that he'll be out there and has a permit (which you're suppose to do) they'll come out and investigate, and if he doesn't have a permit or is breaking any laws then they'll get it straightened out. but chances are he has the permit and following the rules. nothing you can do about it if he wants to be a dick

·
Registered
174 Posts
You may want to contact the FWC for more info. A friend of mine has a nuisance permit and it allows him to kill 7 deer - All of them must be tagged. (Might be a different type of permit)

Inform the FWC of what he is doing. I hunt in this area - It pisses me off as well.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well its official. I just got back from the woods and didnt see anything, tried 2 places the pines and the other 10 acres. There is nothing. Not even one fresh track. My corn feeder hasnt been touched my mineral licks havent been touched. The plots havent been walked through and nothing has been eating on them. I have pretty much busted my ass all year for this. I mean i walked those woods up and down and didnt see anything. I normally see tracks going in and out of the woods, there wasnt one track. I didnt even see any coyote tracks. So I guess i am skrewed. Anyone have any pigs on there land I can shoot. I would like to at least put something in my freezer this year. I am sorry to burden all you guys with my problems its just very disappointing and very frustrating after all the hard work I have put in this year and last year on all this land.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts