Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started a new thread with the results of our trip. First, the drive sucks. Construction or radar zones made it longer than anticipated.

The "houses" we stayed were better than expected. AC was ice cold. Much needed. Pillows and blankets are sparse, so if you sleep with 3 pillows take a couple.

The Crawgators bar and grill is OK. Night 1 I had fried fish. It was a bit greasy. Night 2 was hook-and-cook cobia and it was outstanding.

Met the boat (wrapped with a Tito's theme - looked cool) and Capt. Chad basically said we can catch tuna maybe or meat most likely. We opted for meat.

The boat is a 39 Yellowfin with quad 350 Mercs. Solid ride. Bean bags made the trip comfy. Went to a rig where the tore up the scamp the day before. Scamp didn't play for us but snapper and cobia did. A quick snapper limit and 5 cobia! All solid fish.

The weather and good sense told us to call it early. Head in - real sloppy. Heard the props bite a couple of times, but the boat and captain handled it well.

The pics tell the tale. So the good: Caught a bunch of fish and plan to go back to target tuna. The bad: I didn't like the way they capt and mate wanted to drop the lines, hook the fish, then hand off to one of us. I know they get a ton of inexperienced anglers but all of us know our shit. Next time I intend to have a talk with the capt before we head out. If we mess something up we will cover the cost. Or bring our own gear.

On the gear note, they use quality stuff.

Going again in Nov if weather allows.
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18
Show Content
Shorts Fish Animal product Wood Metal

Water Sky Cloud Blue Vehicle

Water Sky Boat Watercraft Body of water

Water Cloud Sky Wood Body of water

·
Bearded Brotula
16,656 Posts
So, on a fishing forum I have to confirm I’m over 18 to see the day’s catch hanging?

I was expecting some skin…. female
Whatchu talkin bout, Willis?

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Apparently showing dead fish on a FRICKIN FISHING FORUM now is "sensitive". Lord help us.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I'll be honest, if someone dropped the bait, hooked the fish and tried to hand me the rod, I'd tell them to take me to the dock. The bite is the best part.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk
What John said that would piss ME off you hook it its your fish unless you need help. But I do understand why they would do it with a lot of people that charter. Defiantly something a Capt. should discuss with his charter. And I understand you on those LA roads they suck bad Cops every where looking to write tickets for out of towners and they will beat your boat and trailer to hell. Every leaf spring I ever broke was down there! And replaced them every year.

·
Registered
7,572 Posts
so the hook and hand to me was one of things i didn't like, either. one of the reasons i don't want to go back. but, if you can tell the capt. you don't need a deck hand, that may work for me and i;d like to go back. but, like all of you said, feel the bite and set the hook is all part of catching fish. the meat is just an added bonus.
jack

Reactions: SurfRidr

·
Registered
12 Posts
Started a new thread with the results of our trip. First, the drive sucks. Construction or radar zones made it longer than anticipated.

The "houses" we stayed were better than expected. AC was ice cold. Much needed. Pillows and blankets are sparse, so if you sleep with 3 pillows take a couple.

The Crawgators bar and grill is OK. Night 1 I had fried fish. It was a bit greasy. Night 2 was hook-and-cook cobia and it was outstanding.

Met the boat (wrapped with a Tito's theme - looked cool) and Capt. Chad basically said we can catch tuna maybe or meat most likely. We opted for meat.

The boat is a 39 Yellowfin with quad 350 Mercs. Solid ride. Bean bags made the trip comfy. Went to a rig where the tore up the scamp the day before. Scamp didn't play for us but snapper and cobia did. A quick snapper limit and 5 cobia! All solid fish.

The weather and good sense told us to call it early. Head in - real sloppy. Heard the props bite a couple of times, but the boat and captain handled it well.

The pics tell the tale. So the good: Caught a bunch of fish and plan to go back to target tuna. The bad: I didn't like the way they capt and mate wanted to drop the lines, hook the fish, then hand off to one of us. I know they get a ton of inexperienced anglers but all of us know our shit. Next time I intend to have a talk with the capt before we head out. If we mess something up we will cover the cost. Or bring our own gear.

On the gear note, they use quality stuff.

Going again in Nov if weather allows.
View attachment 1094314

View attachment 1094317

View attachment 1094313
View attachment 1094311
Throw those baby ling back next time !!

·
Registered
7,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
1 - 20 of 38 Posts