Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
4,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just wanted to give yall a quick update on what's going on down here in Venice. First of all, there are plenty of unanswered questions regarding the spill and especially some of the technical engineering feats they are trying to accomplish down on the ocean floor. I wish those the best of luck and hopefully a prompt response time.

Now, due to the many unanswered questions, the media has definitely embellished to some extent, the severity of the spill and its impacts along Venice and the mouth of the river. Yes, the entire east side has been closed to both recreational and commercial fishing. I plotted the points of the spill and it appears to be roughly from South pass east-southeast to the original well site, then back north east towards Pensacola.

For anyone that may have upcoming offshore trips with anyone in Southeast Louisiana and is uncertain about the fishing, the best thing you can do is stay in contact with your respective guide, and not believe everything you hear on the news. Your guide will have first hand information and can give you up-to-date reports and conditions. For what it's worth, we all had a very good week last week with the tunas, while the oil continued to spill out. The fishing has been VERY good, and we will continue to go as permitted. We all continue to keep our heads up, and are working (when we're not fishing) with clean-up crews to preserve our precious gem of an ecosystem down here in Southeast Louisiana.

As the temperatures rise this week, from what I am told by some guys "in the biz," this will facilitate clean up as some degree of the oil actually evaporates off of the water. Also, these warmer temperatures will bring our dolphin (mahi-mahi) back, and summertime weedline/rip fishing will be in full swing here very soon. Blue water is a short ride out of both southwest and Tiger passes, and the fish are there and very hungry. Hope this alleviates some concerns any of you might have, and let's pray that this whole ordeal is resolved quickly.

-Captain Woody Woods

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
thanks for the updates woody! hoping for the best...congrats again on the license...good seeing you and belle and....

Welcome Back!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Captain Woody??? Awesome man. Now you just gotta find a mate as good as you rite? Thanks for the post. It is good to read something positive because for the last 2 weeks its been like living in the "hurricane funk", all doom and gloom with this tragic spill. Good luck fishin and be safe out there.

·
Fishing Goddess
1,072 Posts
Welcome back Woody....or I guess I should say Captain Woods now!!!Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.
Emma wants Belle to come back and see her...

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
Welcome back Woody!!...I'm Glad they reconsidered your membership here!!and I look forward to what ever reports you can post..... with what is going on in the gulf....Its terrible:crying

·
Registered
3,739 Posts
Congrats Captain Woody :clap and Welcome back! :letsdrink Thank you for posting a positive update on how things are over your way!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts