Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a 2 day inshore fishing weekend for me and my girl. She kinda wants to go to venice because she has never been there. Does anyone have any guide reccomendations? Where else could we go in lousiana that might have a little better accomendations, and night life that a girl who absolutlyloves fishing and the outdoorsmight find a little romantic, i know i am pushing my luck here though!!!and still have great inshore fishing. Maybee i could rent our own little house boat with a view?? Would like to take her somewhere with a little more "atmosphere" than venice. Trip is scheduled for april 1 and 2, we will stay 2 nights. This trip is her idea not mine!!

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Cajun Fishing Adventures run by Ryan Lambert is an awesome place to stay and inshore fish. It is a large lodge where they cook you breakfast and send lunch with you on the boat and then you come back to appetizers and a great dinner. They have pool tables and a big screen Tv out in the common room and then you have your own room to sleep in. You leave from the lodge each morning to go fishing and they have alot of guides which helps keep everyone in the loop about where the fish have been. The food is great and the Guides are top notch I would recommend Capt. Johnny but they are all great guys. It is about 15 min north of Venice. Check it out

·
Registered
141 Posts
Kingfish lodge is a great place to stay and if you want an awesome 2 day trip call Jason Hallmark on the Mother Lode, he is out of Destin but takes the boat over to Venice in the winter for Charters. 47 foot boat so you can be out of the elements and knows how to catch BIG FISH. His Website is www.chaterboatmotherlode.com

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I was going to ask the same question (without the romance stuff) I'd like to add what's best time of year to go for reds and trout?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cajun fishing aventures looks great, but i kinda want to do our own thing after the days fishing. Even if it costs me a little more i'd like go out to eat and have drinks on our own at night. I know i can accomplish this by staying at cypress cove, or venice marina, and just meeting the guide in the morning.

However, i was hoping to find somewhere with a little more atmosphere. I have not stayed in venice since before katrina, are there lots of houseboats like there used to be?

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
You need to go to the Hopedale/Delecroix area. I like it better than Venice and you are a short drive to NO so you can drive there for dinner and drinks if you wanted. We went last weekend and stayed at a place called Delecrow Joe's. It is a house that sleeps 8 but you could rent it for 2 people if you wanted. Very nice place, fire place, granite countertops, full kitchen, big flatscreen tv with sat. We had a blast. And of coarse the fishing is great. There is also a guide on the forum that runs out of that area.PM me if you want contact info for the place.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have stayed at CFA and it is awesome, unless you want night life. Stay in New Orleans and fish Lafitte or Hopedale. You can find a lodge with a Google search or just call Capt. Gene Dugas.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I second the kingfish lodge, good place to shack up and the owners know all the guides to contact. Late spring usually yields really good speck and red bites, especially if you make it before the shrimp boats start to muddy up the water. Good luck

4,058 Posts
MakoMove09 (1/19/2010)I second the kingfish lodge, good place to shack up and the owners know all the guides to contact. Late spring usually yields really good speck and red bites, especially if you make it before the shrimp boats start to muddy up the water. Good luck
You're a ho. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have no affiliates or friends over there so I am not promoting anyone. I have fished with a bunch of different guides since I was a kid over there from Venice up. The best by far is Brad Schmidt in Port Sulpher, La. phone number 504-458-8761.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hope she is extremely tolerant of mosquitos the size of cocker spaniels and gnats. In all seriousness, if you're looking for a true "romantic" experience for her in Louisiana, do yourself a favor and stay in the Quarter, Hopedale is a 30 minute ride and I can tell you from many experiences with my wife, a much better alternative. The entire area is still on the rebuild and it's not nearly as aesthetically appealing, yet, as it was before.

That being said, If I had to take my wife down tomorrow the top places to stay and guides I'd hire would be:

Hopedale/ Delacroix

Capt. Charlie Thomason Or Capt. Gene Dugas and stay at the Silverside lodge. There are no restaurants in Hopedale or Delacroix yet. Chalmette's not far but those cops don't play around down there. If you wanna beer with dinner, keep it to one. If you can cook, there is a ton of crabs/ shrimp/ oysters to be had for way cheap.

Empire/ Buras

Capt. Matt Caire and stay at the Delta Marina. The accommodations aren't exactly five star but the restaraunt has some pretty damn good food and the bar has good drinks. Don't quote me but I think Matt will come pick you up from the dock at the marina which means you have to walk 15 ft and get on his boat.

Ponch/ Lake St. Catherine

Capt. Eric Dumas Or Capt. Miles LaRose. Stay in New Orleans and these guys will put you on BIG trout in the lakes. Probably the easiest fishing to be had in Louisiana considering the location and accommodation choices.

Bay St. Louis, MS

Capt. Sonny Schindler. Bay. St Louis is a quick ride from PCOLA and he's gonna fish you out of the Biloxi Marsh which is ,loosely, considered everything east of the MRGO. They have a camp on a back bayou that's nice and clean. Some restaurants around and the 2nd cheapest prices for shrimp in N. America.

I hope this helps and if you have any questions, pm me.

http://www.marsh-works.com

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
what about grand isle?? I have had several people recommend that. Looking on the internet there seems to be plenty of cabins, houses we could rent, and several restaurants and bars to chose from at night.

i am not looking for romance, just dont want to be in a lodge with a bunch of other fishermen. Staying is the quarter is not an option, she wants a "real" fishing weekend. She's tough,, she would stay in a cabin of a shrimp boat as long as it was clean!!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If you want to go to Grand Isle call Dee Price. I had a trip with him this year and we whooped the reds and specks- got a personal best speck at 25 inches. Dee can tell you where to stay, but the night life ispretty limited. 225-572-8927 is his number. Tell him Mike Roberson sent you and he may give you a better rate if you pay cash.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The Blue Hoo (1/19/2010)
MakoMove09 (1/19/2010)I second the kingfish lodge, good place to shack up and the owners know all the guides to contact. Late spring usually yields really good speck and red bites, especially if you make it before the shrimp boats start to muddy up the water. Good luck

You KNOW IT!!! YOUUU KNOWWW ITTT!!! WOOOOOO! (said in the likeness of Frank "the tank")

In all honesty though, if you want the skinny on Venice or the surrounding area, PM or call The Blue Hoo, that's his area of operation

4,058 Posts
MakoMove09 (1/20/2010)
The Blue Hoo (1/19/2010)
You KNOW IT!!! YOUUU KNOWWW ITTT!!! WOOOOOO! (said in the likeness of Frank "the tank")

In all honesty though, if you want the skinny on Venice or the surrounding area, PM or call The Blue Hoo, that's his area of operation
Aww, you're the best. I miss you around here.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts