Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning a trip to Venice in February of this year and want to catch a tuna on the lump. Can anyone give meany tips onhow to go about caqtching tuna? I'm taking my boys and some of their friends and would like to get one tuna for the group. I have heard that chumming is the way to go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am going over there Jan 17-20. I called Capt. Eddie (See threads under offshore fishing) what a nice person to talk with... Super! He put me in touch with one of his mates which i have booked as a guide for my "First Trip" I believe it is the way to go...new friends & people that are fishing the area!

·
Registered
163 Posts
SM,

Fishing out of Venice is very unique, make sure you do your homework before the venture. Advise above is very good, give Capt. Eddie a call and/or hire a guide to ride with you on your first trip. Navigating the local waters is a challenge, at best, you can't be too carefull.Other factors enter into the equation such as fog, which pass is best for conditions, etc.A good radar isVERY helpful, and may be considered a MUST. There are some PFF members that fish over there a lot and can give more advise than me. As for fishing, they typically "chunk" for the YF's on the lump, some capts will go to kite fishing if the fish are skidish. Most start with a coupleof flats(or more)of pogies, which can be purchased locally, and may use bonita and blackfins as they show up in the chunk line. 50 - 80 lb tackle with circle hooks. You'll need at least 600' of anchor line with a heavy anchor and the more chain the better, at least 20'. When it gets crowded you'll want to be able to anchor on your first attempt if possible. There's much more to know, keep asking questions, if possible make a trip or two over when you know the weather will be good and get familiar with the area and gain local knowledge. Hopethis helps.

WayneO

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Agree with Ron when the lump heats up bait can be scarce , I dont remember the guys number but we bought crates of pogies from Marvin.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts