Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a tuna trip planned to Venice, LA. But the Sea Gods did not shine. Had an inshore trip booked for day one, so off we go. Five hours to Venice, not a terrible ride. Thanks to my buddy Joel for driving! Venice Marina has cabins for 175 a night, plus tax and other fees. Not bad. Sleeps up to 6 bunk style. Had dinner at Crawgators in the Marina. Last time I had fried redfish and wasn't impressed. This time I went with the cheeseburger. Home run with that one, and the fries were seasoned right and crisp.

Place was filthy with duck hunters. The 3:30 am shotgun start was loud with mud motors. We met our guide at 6 am in a howling gale. 25 knots with 30 gusts. Not the best conditions but here we are. Cold ride out. Loving my Cabelas foul weather gear! First stop nada. High wind, fast current, and dirty water. Our guide was doing his best. Has a new Skeeter 2500 bay boat. Spot lock trolling motor and twin Talon pole anchors. Great ride in a harsh chop. 2nd spot picked through a few nice trout. Next run across the bay was cold and wet -- except for me. Not sad to have my goose gear this day. Stopped at several spots. My son caught a massive bull red (released) and several slots. We all caught a few fish -- white and speck trout, black drum, reds -- made a good mess. All of our party of 4 caught fish, but my son had the hot rod with 5 or 6 redfish.

Headed back in at 1:00 -- they just shut down. But paid to have 60 lbs of fish cleaned. Can't imagine a "good day". Hope to book him again in April or May. Jesse Bishop of Venice Charters Unlimited.

And I sit home and type this because, after all this time, I popped positive for Covid. I guess we will all get it eventually.
Jeans Sky Building Travel Wood

Water Boat Naval architecture Watercraft Vehicle

Water Sky Vertebrate Cloud Sleeve

Water Sky Vertebrate Cloud Fisherman

Attachments

· Registered
4,620 Posts
Had a tuna trip planned to Venice, LA. But the Sea Gods did not shine. Had an inshore trip booked for day one, so off we go. Five hours to Venice, not a terrible ride. Thanks to my buddy Joel for driving! Venice Marina has cabins for 175 a night, plus tax and other fees. Not bad. Sleeps up to 6 bunk style. Had dinner at Crawgators in the Marina. Last time I had fried redfish and wasn't impressed. This time I went with the cheeseburger. Home run with that one, and the fries were seasoned right and crisp.

Place was filthy with duck hunters. The 3:30 am shotgun start was loud with mud motors. We met our guide at 6 am in a howling gale. 25 knots with 30 gusts. Not the best conditions but here we are. Cold ride out. Loving my Cabelas foul weather gear! First stop nada. High wind, fast current, and dirty water. Our guide was doing his best. Has a new Skeeter 2500 bay boat. Spot lock trolling motor and twin Talon pole anchors. Great ride in a harsh chop. 2nd spot picked through a few nice trout. Next run across the bay was cold and wet -- except for me. Not sad to have my goose gear this day. Stopped at several spots. My son caught a massive bull red (released) and several slots. We all caught a few fish -- white and speck trout, black drum, reds -- made a good mess. All of our party of 4 caught fish, but my son had the hot rod with 5 or 6 redfish.

Headed back in at 1:00 -- they just shut down. But paid to have 60 lbs of fish cleaned. Can't imagine a "good day". Hope to book him again in April or May. Jesse Bishop of Venice Charters Unlimited.

And I sit home and type this because, after all this time, I popped positive for Covid. I guess we will all get it eventually. View attachment 1097719
View attachment 1097715

View attachment 1097718
View attachment 1097714
That sucks maybe it will be a mild case. And Dang That wind looks rough in the Pic and they never do justice with what it's really like!

· Registered
977 Posts
Speedy recovery and thanks for the report. The marsh is a special place, even in the wind, and it looks like you did well in spite of conditions.

· Registered
7,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hell the best part was running 30 mph in a ditch with canes brushing the sides of the boat. I think I pinched a 50 cent plug out of his boat seat with my ass.

· Registered
159 Posts
Very nice report. This time of year the Sea Gods seem to frown a bit more than smile. Wind and temps kept me off t he water last week, this week it is family time. Good to see that someone is tough enough to face a howling gale and get some fish!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts