Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Goin to Tampa and Boca Grande for some tarpon fishing this summer...I'm takin the truck but TEAMR&R is goin with me so room on the back is very limited with 2 yaks and a dozen rods,reels,paddles and other various odds and ends.

I'm wondering how much a cheap rack will cost..thanks

·
Registered
2,380 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it's crossed my mind but i'm talkin cheap as in 225 or less...i don't think a trailer will go for that and if something goes wrong with the weels,axels,or any other of the many parts i'm screwed 8 hours from home..

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
dragman6693 (3/1/2010)it's crossed my mind but i'm talkin cheap as in 225 or less...i don't think a trailer will go for that and if something goes wrong with the weels,axels,or any other of the many parts i'm screwed 8 hours from home..

Did you look at my link? Brand new trailer less than $200

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
haha no i did not look at the link....i'll check it out..it didn't show up as a link so i'll have to type it..thanks

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2001 chevy z71 4wd...i took a look at that trailer i think i'm gonna get that..it looks pretty heavy duty. thanks for the link

·
Registered
6,110 Posts
Attach some flags or something to the yaks.. That way you make sure there still attachedto the trailer as your going down the HWY...They might be alittle hard to see with the trailer so low..lol..

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
dragman6693 (3/1/2010)haha no i did not look at the link....i'll check it out..it didn't show up as a link so i'll have to type it..thanks
no problem I was too lazy to link it here ya go http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=42708

and +1 on the flags.I carry long pieces of metal on my trailer and I put flags on there not only to warn tailgaters, but also so I can see it's still there and hasnt fallen off in the street

·
Registered
947 Posts
Call Brownsville Ornamental Iron Works. Ask for Doug Stinson. He built a custom aluminum rack for my F150 and it is perfect. He made it so that it screws into the bed with 4 SS eyebolts. Strong, but lightweight and easily removable with crossbars sized to fit my Malone cradles. Call them and see if they can do it within your budget. They can also powder coat it to match your truckif you want. He can also build you an aluminum stake-out pole. They are the best in town.

Doug Stinson, Brownsville Ornamental Iron Works, 3520 Mobile Hwy., Pensacola, FL 32505. Phone - (850) 433-0521. If it's metal, they can do it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
That's a really nice rack they built for you Ferd, is there any reason why you have your cradles mounted so far back on the rack?? I would think that it would be just as easy and maybe a bit more streamlined looking to have the kayaks riding further forward over the truck roof than that.

I was just curious if there were a logical reason why you put them so far back.

Thanks and that's a really neat rig for a P/U!!

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I agree and was wondering the same thing why they are so far back. I do like that a lot though, because you still have your whole bed open, especially for a long trip.

And Chris you are so funny! =)

·
Registered
947 Posts
There is probably no good reason.There are 4 crossbars on the rack,I can pick any 2 to set the cradles. I used the 2nd and 4th. I could move it forward easily enough and it would look better. Rides the same. The rack isgreat for long roadtrips, the whole bed is free for other stuff. I did rig rod holders on the underside of the rack - they stay put and don't get any dust / dirt from the bed.For short local trips, the yak rides ready to launch in the bed on abed extender...

·
Registered
77 Posts
HEY, I MADE THIS ONE FOR MY 07 TUNDRA, TO HOLD MY CANOE, IT'S JUST WIDE ENOUGH 42" INSIDE, AT THE TOP FOR THE OLD TOWN TO SLIDE IN. I COULD HAVE MADE IT WIDER, MAYBE 48" WOULD BE MORE PRACTICAL. I HAVE 4 TURN BUCKLES TO HOLD IT IN, NO DRILLING.

MAN DID YOU LOOK AT THE PRICE OF THE THULE AND THE YAKIMA!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts