Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given the number of a Mr. Craig Cantelmo with Van Staal, so I gave him a call. Let me start by saying he a stand up guy and went did his best to accommodate me and my situation

Some things I learned, which, by the way will be of use to present and future Van Staal owners

First I learned that the VS 250G that I bought second hand was made in 1996, making it 12 years old at that time.Next I found out that had I called Van Staal andgiven them the serial numberthey could havesharedwith me the service history. Which as it turns out there was none.There was not a record of service performed on the reel for twelve years. Now I'm not sure if the reel is serviced by an autherizedservice center such as Half Hitch if they have tocontact Van Stall each timethey service a reel so they'll have a record of it.Now, had this been a convential reel this would not be a problem because most fishermenservice their own equipment whenever possible

I've always heard reference made to the serial numbers with 5000 being the land mark number. Thsi is tied inwith the change in warranty coverage. Going back to the time they went from a life time warranty to a limited warranty. However the new warranty also is based on annual service.

I was offered a couple of options as regard to the reel I sent in for service. They were both more than generous but on that same noteI would still have had to come out of pocket with a coinsiderable ammount of money. So I've chosen to just have them send back the reel unrepaired reel and will dosomething with it such as sell what parts off it that I can. Which is basically the spool and drag knob and the handle. Unless someone has a service kit and can take apart.

So if you have a Van Stall reel I suggest you have it serviced annually. If you plan on buying a used Van Staal reel get the serial number and call Van Stall tocheck the reels history. If the person you're buying it from won't give you the serial number maybe you should reconsider buying it because he made be hiding something.

PS.

For Sale: Van Staal 250G for parts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fix it at their cost, a new reel for $450, plus my old reel plus the $49I sent in for the service fee

1 - 5 of 5 Posts