Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent my VS 250g in for repair service because it had locked up. Got an E-mail today saying it would cost me $377.77 to fix it because it is one of the older ones, serial number 3294. They also gave me an option of replacinfg it with a new one ( probably rebuilt ) for $480.66 plus my old one and $16.89 shiping and handling. Not to mention the $50.00 they charged up front just to look at it.I think I'll just pass on both choices and use it for a paper weight.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
I hear ya...They have a crappy waranty policy and once a year thing..Jake and me were talking the other day about the time his reel seat broke on his VS250 fighting a jack..They wanted $400 to fix it! If you spend $700+ on a fishing reel the company should replace anything broken on it for FREE..He had it welded and voided the warranty..Lets not turn this thread into thats why you dont spend all that money on them..They are great reels and the flaws that have gone wrong with them they have fixed on the newer models but I hear ya brother..

·
Registered
692 Posts
Wow, that is REALLY good to know. :clap

I could have imagined a moment of weakness when I might have been overcome and put down the cash for a Van Staal.... failure to stand behind your product is a HUGE red flag for me.

Thanks for the heads up. You should get a commission on the money you saved me.....

Here is one on me. :letsdrink

:)

·
Registered
175 Posts
171 hits and 6 replys. i guess all the vs lovers just hit the back button on this one. fellas no hearsay, conventional wisdom,hopeing,wishing or i would guess, it's fact. this is adown right rip off and extortion to tell a man he is going to have to pay 4 or 5 hundred bucks to get up and running with a reel he payed twicethat much to purchase to begin with...3 or 4 or maybe even 5 706's for that price...i bet this thread gets more life now...

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
I'm not a Van Staal man either. I guess its all in the eye of the beholder cause some love 'em. I'd rather have a Shimano.

·
Registered
376 Posts
kingling (10/22/2009)van staals arent junk

there customer service and warrenty are
A reel freezing up? Apparently they are junk. NONE of my shimanos have ever froze up.

I hate it for you brother. That is absolutely sub-par customer service. Put em' out of business.

·
Registered
196 Posts
So, someone spends $600 plus on a reel, and is then asked to spend $400 plus to repair it when something happens.

I can understand having to fork out a reasonable amount to repair an older product, but what could possibly cost that much to repair a reel for $400?

That is amazing, I am like others, I have been considering getting one lately but this just re-affirms my decision that they are not worth it. Especially when the company wont back their own product.

·
Registered
683 Posts
There is a part of society that believes you get what you pay for in the strictest terms. I have bid jobs high and got them because the customer didn't want to go with the lower bids thinking they would beof lesser quality. Car salesman can pick up on "status" buyers so they can say "I have a xxxxxxx thousand $ car". The fool does easily part from his money, but...to each his own. You know the guys at Van stahl laugh all the way to the bank.

·
Registered
9,217 Posts
I just E-mailed them this page and told them I can't beleve what I read. Everyone should do that maybe they would think about there procedures.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Anything mass produced is going to have some rejects eventually whether its reels, cars, etc. The thing that makes a manufacturer great IN MY OPINION is whether they stand behind that product and keep their customer satisfied. I could not, would not stand behind and support a company that offered such poor service to the ones that keep them paid. Its biting the hand that feeds at its finest. Shimano, Daiwa, Penn and most other big name companies offer great customer service with no beat around the bush tactics that end up costing you half of what you paid for the reel if not more. This is one of the main reasons we have never wanted to get VS in our store. We try to offer products we can stand behind if something goes wrong and VS is just not one of them.

I once sent 2, 6000 spheros reels back for a customer who discovered they had fallen in the water next to his dock.....at least a week earlier. These things were horrible and were so filled with mud it was obvious they were in need of some serious TLC and new parts. I sent them off, 2 brand new reels came back. Total cost: 20 bucks

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
None asked what kind of reels yall use or what you think of the Van Staal compared to anything else..They are great reels..Dont turn this into another pissing match..If you dont like them you have probably never used one or caught anything on one..

1 - 20 of 43 Posts