Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post, but please consider me a regular because I am. This is mobile bay, and todays information, 12 noon, target is flounder, trout, redfish, sheepshead, and mangrove. Are these charts enough to have a productive day—the weather is sunny and there are oyster beds, grass, and bottom structure in all areas considered

Attachments

·
Registered
818 Posts
I cannot attest to the first picture, but the salinity graph is a life saver in my opinion and I use it frequently. I fish Mobile Bay and the surrounding areas regularly. Being frank, it is just too dang hot right now. If you listen to local radio and podcast of the fishing reports, people are struggling to catch trout and reds in their normal haunts. It is not out of the question but it is truly the "dog days" of summer. Best of luck if you get out there and try!

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
I cannot attest to the first picture, but the salinity graph is a life saver in my opinion and I use it frequently. I fish Mobile Bay and the surrounding areas regularly. Being frank, it is just too dang hot right now. If you listen to local radio and podcast of the fishing reports, people are struggling to catch trout and reds in their normal haunts. It is not out of the question but it is truly the "dog days" of summer. Best of luck if you get out there and try!
If you wouldn't mind, educate me a bit on how you use the knowledge of water's salinity to plan or execute your trip for inshore fish? Are you looking for saltier water in general, or a specific salinity range? I am still learning the inshore thing, and I'm curious about how this plays into your day. Thanks!

·
Registered
818 Posts
If you wouldn't mind, educate me a bit on how you use the knowledge of water's salinity to plan or execute your trip for inshore fish? Are you looking for saltier water in general, or a specific salinity range? I am still learning the inshore thing, and I'm curious about how this plays into your day. Thanks!
No problem. I look at salinity in general, the higher the better. Lets say Evergreen, Montgomery, Selma, etc got a ton of rain in the previous days, I will use this chart to check to see if that freshwater has pushed down into the bay. In my experience it usually takes two to three days for it to really reach here. I live 5 minutes from the Causeway and like to put in there because it is convenient. This chart tells me if I need to trailer farther south, to maybe Bon Secour. In the late fall/early winter you can almost track the migration of Trout up into the delta by following the inflow of salinity over a few days time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
My first read on the salinity chart would be to stay away from the causeway (I-10) and it also looks like the eastern shore southern area down to ft. Morgan road is where the fish are piled up, the green area may hold bait fish the best and maybe the small yellow spot to the lower right is where the flounder are laying. But I rarely catch fish, but also I’ve never followed a chart such as this. However I did get into a mess of short specs west of the DIP bridge in the yellow area.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
People put too much emphasis on meteorological data.

Go fishing!

Be observant, if you're not catching fish try something different. Sometimes it's a different lure, sometimes you'll need to fish deeper, or it might be shallower. Sometimes fish hold around creek mouths, other times in the drop offs.

Some days the fish will bite anything, some days they won't bite at all.

Be observant. Try new things. Enjoy being outdoors and on the water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts