Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be looking over the next few months for a replacement motor for my Mako 19. It currently has a 1977 Johnson 140 that is providing a little more trouble than I would like. New is out of the question... I dont have the money for that. So, I have been looking at used engines. I am somewhat limited because I have to have a 20" shafted model.

I am looking for some advice on what I should be looking for in a motor, and I have a few questions.

Would it be cost effective to buy a motor with a blown power head and have it rebuilt?

What about buying a motor that has already been rebuilt or has a new power head?

Just looking for some help as I have never purchased a motor.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
IF you do that why not just rebuild your motor? Would be a little cheaper because, you dont have to buy a blown motor... The older johnson's are too bad of motors.. As long as you take care of them, they will run good..

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Have thought about this, but a few issues come up. I think it has been rebuilt at least once already. Some of the the design features of this particular vintage make it difficult to keep running well according to the mechanic I had do some work on it late last year. The biggest problem being the non-adjustable carb jets.

·
Registered
5,919 Posts
Hmm, Not sure about the being rebuilt once before.. That might not mean anything.. Also could'nt you buy a new carb for it? Or 2/3.. I'm guessing that is a 3-carb set-up... If not try looking on Craigslist for a newer model on the cheaper side..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts