Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to renew my license and was wondering if anyone knows of a physician in the area that can perform the USCG physical. ichecked at my doctor in gulf shores but they said they have done several in the past and all were denied by the coast guard because the doctor did not meet all of their qualifications. i willcall the coast guard on monday and see if they have a listbut wanted tocheck on here and see if any licensed guys on the forum have recommendations. thanks for anyinfo.

·
Registered
2,764 Posts
Dr Lucy at 9th and Underwood in Pensacola did mine with no problems...his office has all the coast guard paperwork there...

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
I went to the one on 9 MILE road. It may depend on which pysical you have to take.

The one on 9 mile involved the lifting, pulling weight, standing on the ball and climbing ladders.

Far as the Cap'ns renewal I'm not for sure. I know they passed new physical requirments about 3 months ago.

Call Allison and she will be able to tell you.

Are you talking about a 6-pack Licensces or the 100 ton + Physical??

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I can't for the life of me understand why a licensed physician with a Ph.D in medicine isn't good enough for the coast guard. How many people that work for the CG went college for a decade (not to mention are in the top tax bracket, that's right paying the way for the CG boys to play on multimillion dollar boats and aircraft). It's coming down to people with government jobs against those with private sector jobs, and the private sector is the only one that really generates new tax revenue to pay for the government worker's who then regulate us out of business.:banghead:banghead:banghead

Sorry for the rant, but I just went through this. My doctor wasn't qualified either, which is just stupid.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
I have always gotten mine from my family dr. Just printed out the form off the USCG website and she filled it out and i have never had a problem with that. check with one of these drs that the guys are talking about and you should be good to go. also now with the twic you dont have to drive to Mandiville anymore...just mail it there and use pay.gov to pay for the evaluation and your good to go. but dont make the mistake and mail your app to WV even though that is where its going to end up...it has to go through a REC first before it goes there

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont know why the coast guard would have issues with any physician doing it. the only thing i would see limiting certain physicians is the hearing test that has to be done. i have a second mate unlimited tonnage license and a 1600 ton master. when i upgraded in 2004 i was sailing and we were in a shipyard in portland, oregon. there was a physician right by the REC that was all set up for it andso it was easy to get it done. i forgot to ask if there is an approved drug screening place around. i dont sail anymoreandam not part of a random drug testing program anymore. i saw the list of approved druglabs on the coast guard website and the closest one is in gretna, la.anyoneknow if there is onecloser that wasnot on the list?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
sail7seas (10/18/2009)i dont know why the coast guard would have issues with any physician doing it. the only thing i would see limiting certain physicians is the hearing test that has to be done. i have a second mate unlimited tonnage license and a 1600 ton master. when i upgraded in 2004 i was sailing and we were in a shipyard in portland, oregon. there was a physician right by the REC that was all set up for it andso it was easy to get it done. i forgot to ask if there is an approved drug screening place around. i dont sail anymoreandam not part of a random drug testing program anymore. i saw the list of approved druglabs on the coast guard website and the closest one is in gretna, la.anyoneknow if there is onecloser that wasnot on the list?
i know there is/used to be a place by the mall on bayou blvd. long as its a DOT drug screen they should approve it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Coastal Health Institute, Dr. Hankin in Foley, Al. 915 W Laurel Ave. 251-943-5440 They can do them both with no appt. Cost $105 Last year.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts